Topic Sponsor
Aftermarket Products, Reviews & Installation Discuss modifications and enhancements to your Ford F150.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory Installed Hitches/Rear Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Factory Installed Hitches/Rear Bumper

I just bought a 2006 F-150 5.4L V8 after having a smaller verion of the truck (4.6L) for 11 years. This new truck came with a factory installed class III hitch. I was hoping to change this hitch out to a class IV, not that I would be pulling something that big. I seem to be running into bumper issues. I have not found manufacture that makes a class IV hitch to replace a factory installed hitch. I did find an obscure note on one web site that said I needed to order part number 5l3z-17D86aa with out factory installed hitch. Does anyone know what the problem is with upgrading to a class IV hitch? Do I need another part in order to support the bumper? Is there an aftermarket Class IV hitch I can put of?
Thanks for any help.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:04 AM
FULL BLOODED AMERICAN!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do end up getting a new hitch I'm interested in buying your old one if the price is right....that is if you want to sell it.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:39 AM

Trition V8 Yes I would sell it to you if I change it out. I do have a concern though. I am not sure if this hitch would fit a truck that did not have a factory installed hitch. You would have to make sure it fits your truck. There seems to be a difference with how the rear bumpers are mounted. I still have not come across an aftermarket hitch that will fit my truck without having to install a different bumper.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Shrek
Trition V8 Yes I would sell it to you if I change it out. I do have a concern though. I am not sure if this hitch would fit a truck that did not have a factory installed hitch. You would have to make sure it fits your truck. There seems to be a difference with how the rear bumpers are mounted. I still have not come across an aftermarket hitch that will fit my truck without having to install a different bumper.
Oh ok thanks for the warning. Have you checked out Curt hitches?? I know there was a member on here that had an OEM hitch when he bought his truck and he switched to a Curt hitch and said it bolted right up.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:20 PM

Thanks, I called Curt and Putnam hitches. They both said they do not make an aftermarket hitch for the F-150 truck (after 5/05) that already had a factory installed hitch. It has something to do with how the rear bumper is supported. I am still confused which is why I started this thread. If your truck did not come with a factory installed hitch you are golden and can use any aftermarket hitch comapany. I liked both curt and hidden hitch. They both have a class IV hitch. Although the class IV is bigger than what the truck can handle, I like the peace of mind especially if you have a good size load. If I don't hear from anyone that may have a solution to my problem I can always use a wieght distrubution hitch as hall what I need to safely. Long hauls WD is the way to go.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:46 PM

I didn't know that about upgrading the OEM hitch. That's kind of odd. I only asked about getting yours because I'm looking for one.

So what are your options now??
Old 10-14-2008, 06:14 PM

I did not know either. I was hoping it would be simple. Story of my life. Hopefully someone may have a better solution that a weight distrubution system. If you do not have a factory installed hitch then it is straight forward.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:42 PM

This may not be the exact answer you are looking for but could you remove the factory hitch and just install an aftermarket hitch. Maybe I am not totally understanding your issue.
Old 10-20-2008, 04:31 PM

What he's saying DJC is that he can't upgrade his OEM hitch because of different bumper supports.

To be honest I don't see the difference in a truck with the tow package and a truck without the tow package.
Old 10-21-2008, 12:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Class IV hitches are not standardized in other words some have a 2.5 inch others have a 2 inch receiver. The weight ratings are also all over the place I have an older class III hitch with 7500 trailer, 750 tongue weight carrying and 20,000 trailer 2000 tongue weight distributing hitch.

Quick Reply: Factory Installed Hitches/Rear Bumper