Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Understanding Ford parts numbering & finding part numbers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 04:15 PM

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Default Understanding Ford parts numbering & finding part numbers?

I'm a bit baffled by how the Ford parts numbering works, and am having some difficulties trying to find correct part numbers.

Some examples:

I want to replace the orange reflector inserts on my 2011 FX4 with the low-end model black inserts.

I pried out my insert. It has a number on the back.
*L34-17E749-B*W
Putting this exact number into tasca parts search yields no results. Tasca parts automatically strips off the * and - characters, inputting without them yields no results either.

Member NASSTY was kind enough to post up the part numbers for the black ones he ordered:
9L3Z-17E748-AA right
9L3Z-17E749-AA left
Drilling down into the tasca parts catalog, you can find
Collision Catalog - 2011 - Ford - F-150
Front door, Outside mirrors
But from here, things get confusing. Sub-options are:
Bulb, Mirror, Mirror cover, Mirror glass, Motor, Puddle lamp, Signal lamp, Turn signal
and poking around and pulling up the "view illustration" when you see the option, you get these:

Picking #5 on each lets me select:
Front door, Outside mirrors, Signal lamp, Signal lamp Left - Manual w/o trailer tow 2011 - Manual w/o trailer tow 2011 ($7.70)

Front door, Outside mirrors, Turn signal, Turn signal Right - Power, w/heat, w/power fold, w/o trailer tow - Power, w/heat, w/power fold, w/o trailer tow ($12.83)
The first one is also the part that comes up when I input NASSTYY's part number. Why the heck they call a solid black plastic insert in the mirror a "signal lamp" is beyond me.

The second one I'm pretty sure is the Amber insert, but of course, it doesn't list the part number. Now it's called a "turn signal", which also makes no sense as it is just an unlighted reflector...
Old 06-20-2011, 04:16 PM

So now that I've posted up all this info, a few questions:
  • Is there any end-user tool or web site that allows owners to browse the fiche pictures, select a part, and then actually see the part number? Or at least just browse the fiche without having to guess things like that a black plastic insert that neither signals or is a lamp might be called a "signal lamp"
  • Is there any rhyme or reason to the part numbers that would make them easier to decode?
I was just told that the part numbers actually stamped on the parts are "engineering part numbers", different than actual part numbers. Which explains why
9L3Z-17E749-AA (the part number for the black insert) is very close to
L34-17E749-BW (the engineering number for the amber insert). Hmmm.. if I put that 9 in front do I get something? Nope. If I change the L34 to a L3Z or 9L3Z do I get something? Still no.
  • Info that would allow me to use "engineering part numbers" and get actual valid part numbers?
  • Or info on the color codes? So you could at least tell what color a part is from the part number?
I realize I could call tasca and bother them every time I'm looking for a part or a price, but I'm often doing this kind of stuff after hours and would really prefer to do it on my own.

Last edited by pfbz; 06-20-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

yes, first you need to install Adobe's SVG viewer (google for it)

Then go to www.fordparts.com - Once there, you can use the search field at the bottom to find the part number by the middle section or part name.

If you can't find it, find a part close to it - then click on the view diagram button. You can usually click on the other part number in the diagram and it will show you what it's named.

once the part is up, click on Buyer's Guide to see the full part number.
Old 06-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Ford Parts Manager

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its all part of fords crazy ideas when i first started as parts manager i was lost but after a couple days i figured the system out. the middle set of numbers is the same for any model. say you were looking for a headlight assy the base number is 13008 for every model from a new f150 to a 95 f150. the difference is the pre and suffix numbers and letters. the prefix will actually tell you what model it goes on. 9L3Z fits on a 09-11 f150. the suffix is really just how many times something has been changed since it was first produced.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by p38fln
Then go to www.fordparts.com - Once there, you can use the search field at the bottom to find the part number by the middle section or part name.
Thanks!!

Still a bit clunky, but MUCH better than anything I was able to find on my own!

For those following along, I was able to quickly drill down to this diagram, with the main part number.

But I'm not seeing the Buyers Guide for the full part number. Even if I add it to the cart, I still get Door Mirror Signal Lens Part #: 17E748 without a prefix or suffix, and I can't get the search function to work with anything other than the full part number. I can search/find 9L3Z-17E749-AA, but putting in 17E749 or *L34-17E749-B*W
Old 06-20-2011, 09:01 PM

Received 3,932 Likes on 2,510 Posts

I've been driving Ford trucks for 30 years and one thing I've noticed over the last few years is FoMoCo is making their part#s less available to the public.
A few years ago when shopping online most online dealers would show part #s. Now Tasca and the other ones I deal with online don't show part #s anymore.
A couple years ago I was at the parts dept. of a local dealership (not the one I bought my last 2 trucks from). Anyway, as I was waiting in line I overheard the phone conversation one of the parts guys was having with a customer. The customer asked for a price on a part, the parts guy quoted him retail price.The customer asked him for the part#.The parts guy said" parts are money, we don't give out part #s." I was like wow that's wierd. But it was shortly after that when I noticed the online stores were no longer showing part #s. Until I bought my 2011 I couldn't get parts at any dealership around here for under retail price. So I bought my parts online,paid shipping and still got them cheaper than retail price. Finally after buying 2 brand new trucks at the same dealership in the last 5 years, that dealership finally started treating me good on prices.

Last edited by NASSTY; 06-20-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever come up with the part #? I would like to order a spare set before I convert mine to LED clearance/signal lamps. Thanks, Tom.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:31 PM

It is still a bit of a PITA to find part numbers, but the tip posted by p38fln gets the job done.

Part numbers for the black mirror inserts are: (credit to Nassty)
9L3Z-17E748-AA right
9L3Z-17E749-AA left
Part numbers for the amber reflector mirror inserts are:
9L3Z-17E748-BA
9L3Z-17E749-BA
Of course these also go by the abbreviated part numbers:
17E748
17E749
and the engineering part numbers like this:
*L34-17E749-B*W
There is no public converter from engineering part numbers to ford part numbers, but I think if you take the middle part of the engineering number, 17E749 in this case, and search on that string at fordparts.com after entering your VIN, you can sometimes get the complete part number.

When looking up the part numbers on various sites, it seems like sometimes you need the dashes, sometimes not. Sometimes the prefix (like 9L3Z), sometimes not. Sometimes the extension (like AA) sometimes not. I haven't quite figured it all out yet...

PITA!

Last edited by pfbz; 10-27-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:30 PM

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,951 Posts

For your listening pleasure and reading enjoyment .....
Ford F-150 ... ««« -click-
» Documents » Service: » Parts List » F-150
*This is a parts list for the 2009-10 F-150
Old 10-28-2011, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by gDMJoe
For your listening pleasure and reading enjoyment .....
Ford F-150 ... ««« -click-
» Documents » Service: » Parts List » F-150
*This is a parts list for the 2009-10 F-150
Thanks! A useful 260 pages

Direct Link to gDMJoe's .pdf document shwoing the parts diagrams and numbers. (All your framesets caused a bit of funky behavior in my google chrome browser).

Quick Reply: Understanding Ford parts numbering & finding part numbers?