Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

8 foot bed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 8 foot bed?

Hey everybody, I'm extremely new to this site and unlike most people on the forums I don't have a pickup...yet. I'm buying my very first car of any kind and I've decided on a 9th Gen F-150 (something that you see nearly everybody driving around these parts) and I've decided on an extended cab. We were looking the other day and found a 1995(I think) F-150 XLT with an extended cab and 8 foot bed I loved it but i was told by some people who know far more than I do that "it's too long to park anywhere and it'll be horrible on gas" those of you with extended cabs and 8 foot beds what are your experiences with it? Also do you think 8 foot is too long for somebody who doesn't farm or do commercial work?(However i will probably use the truck for part time landscaping and a lot of hauling for renovating two houses) Thanks for all the help in advance!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:06 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by J.M.D.
Hey everybody, I'm extremely new to this site and unlike most people on the forums I don't have a pickup...yet. I'm buying my very first car of any kind and I've decided on a 9th Gen F-150 (something that you see nearly everybody driving around these parts) and I've decided on an extended cab. We were looking the other day and found a 1995(I think) F-150 XLT with an extended cab and 8 foot bed I loved it but i was told by some people who know far more than I do that "it's too long to park anywhere and it'll be horrible on gas" those of you with extended cabs and 8 foot beds what are your experiences with it? Also do you think 8 foot is too long for somebody who doesn't farm or do commercial work?(However i will probably use the truck for part time landscaping and a lot of hauling for renovating two houses) Thanks for all the help in advance!
I have a 96 F150 4x4 scab with the 8 foot bed. It is 20 feet from bumper to bumper. Parking is not too difficult, in my experience, you just have to realize it will not fit into small areas. The fuel economy is about the same as any other truck, not great, but it is a truck after all. I get about 12-13mpg in the city and 16-18mpg on the highway. The 8 foot bed will be very useful with the renovations because you can fit full 4x8 sheets of plywood/drywall, etc, inside.

Good luck with your decision!
Oh, and welcome to the board!
Old 06-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Keep kickin it old school

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an 8 foot bed on mine, granted this one is only a single cab, but I used to plow with a chevy 2500 (i know, i'm going to be damned for that) it was x-cab with an 8 foot bed, plus the plow. you just need to keep in mind that there is about 4 more feet from bumper to bumper than a regular cab, most parking lots, its going to be easier to find a spot you can pull through and take up a front back combination. but driving down the road there really isnt much difference, you dont have to worry about rear tire trail over unless it is something like a hairpin turn, but you probly wont have the same turning radius as one with only a single cab. honestly if i had found my truck with an x-cab i wouldnt have thought twice about its length and still bought it.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Jared

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

WELCOME!! glad you joined us!! I don't have the 8 foot however I have driven trucks with them and they aren't difficult, it's just learning your "swing zone" and were you will and won't fit. as for milage a truck is a truck, if you need the truck you can't base it on milage. besides the 2ft difference won't kill the milage it's more how you drive And what you pull. as for if it's too much for you, only you can awnser that. if you can afford it get whatever you want the people telling you it's to big for you don't have a say in it, they aren't the ones driving it. so it's all up to you and i say go for it! definitely post up some pictures!
Old 06-13-2011, 02:18 PM

I have the exact truck that you are talking about, a 95 XLT extended cab with the long bed. I dont have much difficulty parking or driving around with it. I had a small truck before this one so it is a little different being in a long truck like it, but no troubles. And as for the fuel economy, I have the 302 5.0L and im getting 15 miles to the gallon around town. If the truck is in good condition, I would advise you to buy it!!!!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:50 PM

The big thing to remember, as with all vehicles, know what you have and how to drive it. People who are used to driving a Town Car will say that a Civic is twitchy and hard to drive and vice versa. If you get the long bed with extended cab, just remember it is 20 feet long as said previously. I love driving my 94 long bed extended cab 4x4, but I also love driving my 2008 Civic. THEY ARE DIFFERENT. It sounds like you have found a great truck for what you need it for. Good luck and have lots of great years with your "new" Ford F-150. I am confident that you will love it.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:54 PM

I drive a 96 standard cab with the long bed and haven't had any problems. Switched from a Jeep Wrangler to the pickup. Wranglers are real short and easy to park. But I just try to find someplace I can park nose out even if it's a longer walk through the parking lot.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:12 PM

I had a 96 with the 8' bed as my first vehicle in high school. Fuel mileage was on average 15mpg (same as my 04 f150 now). The only hard thing about it was trying to park in a crowded parking lot close to the building. Simple fix park a little further down were you got plenty of room. After you get used to driving it you can put it about anywhere you want.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:49 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I have an 07 Ext cab/8ft bed and measures almost 22' long with my hitch, 163" wheelbase. I also don't have power steering, cuz of somthing stupid lol. You just have to be not retarded and realize you're driving a truck. On the road its smoother and nicer than the rab/6.5 I had before, parking is a little more difficult, but I just park in the back and walk up. (Exercise! What????) Drive-throughs are a little more challenging, I usually jump the curb a little on the inside and my tow mirrors sometimes knock the window, but I can tow 9000lbs and 6ppl
Old 06-13-2011, 10:12 PM

Rules were meant to broken and curbs were meant to be ran over. Happens to the best of us lol

Quick Reply: 8 foot bed?