Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

My 1989 F-250 won't start. Help!

Old 05-22-2011, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 1989 F-250 won't start. Help!

I know it's not an F-150, but still need some advice. Since I have had this truck so long, I’m usually pretty good at figuring out what’s wrong but this is a new one and I don’t even know where to start.
Which actually bring me to my question, “it won’t start”! Turns over and dies. If I turn the key on and hold it the truck continues to try and start, as soon as I let it go it just dies. Don’t want to do this, as I don’t want to burn up my starter. I switched tanks and tried again, but still does not start. First thought is fuel pump, but not sure how to test that. Any suggestions as to what it could be?? Would greatly appreciate any information you could provide. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:43 PM

can you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key to the run position? Do you have spark?
Old 05-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Jordan

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

Pull a plug boot, and have someone lean it up against the block somewhere while you try to start it, and have them watch for a spark to gap from the BOOT to the block. it'll be an obvious spark

protect your eyes here, but tap the tire valve looking part on the fuel rail, with a small screwdriver or something to see if gas squirts out. there should be a black tire valve cap looking thing over it

did it sit for a while before not starting or just one day out of the blue it doesnt start?

Last edited by mr7confused; 05-22-2011 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:39 PM

Pulled the boot from the fuel filter that sits in front of the pump a small amount of gas came out. Also I can here the pump make noise when the ignition key is turn on. I thinking that maybe the fuel filter is clogged. It's been sitting for awhile, as I don't drive it much. It acts like it's not getting any gas. I'll change out the filter, as it has not been done in quite some time since last done. If that doesn't work it won't be any big loss. Thanks
Old 05-29-2011, 06:42 PM

Default Still need help with F250 not starting.

Well I finally had some time to work on this truck again. Thought for sure it was the fuel filter, just changed it and still doesn't start. I hear the fuel pump running. But the same thing I can hold it in the run position and it actually runs, but as soon as I let go of the ignition(still in on position) the engine dies. Any suggestions? Doesn't sound like a starter or it wouldn't start at all, I believe. What else could it be? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-29-2011, 07:03 PM
No One

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a bad wire in the column.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:13 PM

Default RE: Still need help with F250 not starting.

almost forgot, I did test it and it does have a spark. Thanks for the advice. So maybe a loose wire in the column? I'll have to get it opened up and take a look. Strange that it was fine one day, then didn't start the next. We don't drive it that much, maybe twice a month, so it does tend to sit.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:55 PM
No One

Doesn't have to be broken might be a corroded contact.
Old 05-30-2011, 01:20 AM

Default Won't even turn over now.

It's starting to sound like an ignition problem. Now it won't even turn over at all. When you turn the key on, all the accessories and gauges work, but not a sound from the starter.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:56 AM
No One

I would assume your ignition contacts are messed up. Might be time to change the lock cylinder.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 1989 F-250 won't start. Help!