Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

2001 F150 Towing capacity

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2001 F150 Towing capacity

I've found a 2001 F150 regular cab, 8 foot bed with I'm assuming the 4.6 L V8 (it has the V8 Triton emblem on the side) and 5 speed transmission. What's the towing capacity of this configuration? I'm looking for a bigger truck than my '98 V6 Dakota to pull my 14 foot single axle trailer and occasionally a 16 foot tandem axle trailer. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:58 AM

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

I have an 02' Screw with the Triton and I pull a 29' Travel Trailer. I guess you would have to find out for sure which engine it has.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have since done some research on '01 F150s. According to what I've read, if it has a 5-speed manual and a V8, then that rules out the 5.4 and leaves the 4.6 (5.4 only came with the 4-speed automatic from my research). So, I'll go out on a stout limb here and say it has the 4.6L V-8. So any idea what it's towing capacity is?
Old 04-06-2007, 12:36 PM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

mine is a 4.6 v8 also.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am new to this forum, but I wanted to tell for those who dont know, the difference between half and three quarter ton rear axles. In short of being a machinist for nearly thirty years here is what I have seen: There is a REASON that wood haulers do not use half ton trucks. All the weight is on the rear flanges of the car style axles. If overloaded, they will snap off and shove the wheel and tire up into your wheel well and you will have an instant 'dually' rear fender added to your pickup bed. This could result in injury or death of yourself or others especially at freeway speeds. On earlier trucks, say from the 70's and 80's a 3/4 ton had a full floater rearend where you could actually pull your axles out of the rear end and the wheels are still on the rig. A half ton cannot do this. Half tons have one rear axle bearing per wheel, 3/4 tons with full float rearends like a Dana 60, have two bearings per rear wheel. To save money, some manufacturers used a beefed up 1/2 ton single bearing style rearend and call it a 3/4 ton. You can tell if you have a full float rearend if the rear hub extends atleast four inches thru the rear rim. I offer this as a benefit to those who still think the difference is springs and ratings as I once did. In my opinion, half ton trucks with excessive springs are a deadly combo. I once loaded 5500 lbs in the back of a half ton and drove it sucessfully to the job site. I was also only 22 years old then, now 48. Dolphin mini motorhomes had a recall on their rigs due to this problem. they actually made dually rear ends on motorhomes and people were breaking flanges on the freeway and crashing. Multimillion dollar recall was the result and a 6000.00 full float rear end was the fix. FYI to those buying trucks. Get a strong rear end with bigger gears= much more truck for the money, or put a 3/4 ton rear end in your half ton as many do.
The following users liked this post:
drummerbrat (02-27-2015)
Old 11-04-2011, 12:42 PM

Received 94 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by jdbiz
I am new to this forum, but I wanted to tell for those who dont know, the difference between half and three quarter ton rear axles. In short of being a machinist for nearly thirty years here is what I have seen: There is a REASON that wood haulers do not use half ton trucks. All the weight is on the rear flanges of the car style axles. If overloaded, they will snap off and shove the wheel and tire up into your wheel well and you will have an instant 'dually' rear fender added to your pickup bed. This could result in injury or death of yourself or others especially at freeway speeds. On earlier trucks, say from the 70's and 80's a 3/4 ton had a full floater rearend where you could actually pull your axles out of the rear end and the wheels are still on the rig. A half ton cannot do this. Half tons have one rear axle bearing per wheel, 3/4 tons with full float rearends like a Dana 60, have two bearings per rear wheel. To save money, some manufacturers used a beefed up 1/2 ton single bearing style rearend and call it a 3/4 ton. You can tell if you have a full float rearend if the rear hub extends atleast four inches thru the rear rim. I offer this as a benefit to those who still think the difference is springs and ratings as I once did. In my opinion, half ton trucks with excessive springs are a deadly combo. I once loaded 5500 lbs in the back of a half ton and drove it sucessfully to the job site. I was also only 22 years old then, now 48. Dolphin mini motorhomes had a recall on their rigs due to this problem. they actually made dually rear ends on motorhomes and people were breaking flanges on the freeway and crashing. Multimillion dollar recall was the result and a 6000.00 full float rear end was the fix. FYI to those buying trucks. Get a strong rear end with bigger gears= much more truck for the money, or put a 3/4 ton rear end in your half ton as many do.
Good info thanks bud
Old 11-06-2011, 12:39 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Ty

mine is a 4.6 v8 also.
Where did you get the light/roll bar in the back? Looks awesome

Quick Reply: 2001 F150 Towing capacity