Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2006 King Ranch F150 problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 King Ranch F150 problems

I have a 2006 King Ranch F150 and I have began to have some problems with what I think might be the transmission.

When I am driving on a relatively flat part of the road and then begin to go up a hill at approx. 60km/hr at 1,000rpms the truck starts to shutter like something is slipping.

I took it in and they couldn't find a problem with it and changed the fuel filter. However, after picking up the truck it has started to do it again.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:44 PM

My 07 king ranch does something very similar. In the exact situation you mentioned it vibrates like i ran over the drunk bumps on the side of the road for about a second. I had it checked out at a transmission shop, but they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I just hit 60,000 miles if that means anything.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sounds to me like torque converter shutter, i haven't had this problem with my current 06 f150 but did have this problem on the last truck i owned which was an 04 gmc sierra. Just under a slight load right about at the speed which it kicks in and out of overdrive it started vibrating/shuttering...took it to a transmission shop and had some diagnostics run on it and they said everything seemed to be in the normal range. The guy at the transmission shop told me to go to the local ford dealership and buy two bottles of friction modifier and put in it. I know the bottle says for differentials but he said out of all the things he had tried this is the only stuff that had worked. So I trusted his word and did so, after putting the friction modifier in the trans i drove around town running a couple arrands and headed home, and not once did the truck ever think about slipping or shuttering again. I put 41,000 miles on the truck after adding this stuff and it didn't do it again. I asked about how long this would be a fix and he said for as long as the transmission lasts. Just my experience with this hope it helps yall out.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This may be a long shot but see if your o2 sensor is bad, if it is then it could be choking the engine which would cause it to vibrate or make a shuttering sensation. The time when you are feeling the shutter, going up a slight grade with the truck under a small amount of strain, describes exactly what happened when my o2 sensor went bad. Mine was not a very violent shake, but rather a low vibration. Despite the problem, good luck.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be several things but most likely you have a COP goin out. Its hard to tell which one it is unless it throws a code.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 PM

Default Transmission Probs....

Yep, I bought my King Ranch a year ago and it had 72000 miles. I noticed the shuttering myself. At 90000 miles last sunday on my way from La to Fla the third gear gave out in Gulfport Miss....at the moment I'm waiting for the final cost for repairs.......will post the final cost and give a detailed account of what exactly happened...hope it helps you all...Jim
Old 05-09-2011, 08:12 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

My 07 is in the shop for the rumble strip feeling right now---they think (and I agree) bad torque converter. ---- A question for anyone who may know--- Does the 4R75E trans have a torque converter lock like the E4OD? You know the final shift that feels like another gear but its not really. And can you test the converter operation by touching the brake, with your left foot, while at speed? Thanks..
Old 05-10-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Got the truck back today ---this is really dumb...it was 2 quarts low on fluid. The engine was replaced just over a week ago and when they refilled everything there were bubbles in the system (they said)---2 quarts is a big bubble!! I didnt think to check the fluid when it started acting up, it just came out of the dealership it should be ok --right? anyway..seems to be fine now.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:08 PM

Default Third gear burned out...

Well, got my truck from Gulfport and the shuddering is gone. It was the third gear that had burned out just like Buchanans Transmission said. What happened most of the time going up inclines in overdrive it would shudder when it downshifted to third it would stop. Once on level ground it would run just fine. I was passing a fuel truck on cruise at 65 mph and when it downshifted to third the rpm's pegged out...I shifted to neutral turn the engine off. The next day (Monday) I went to Ford...one ahead of me getting repaired and it would be the next day before he could look at it. Done homework the day before with the locals and new the best transmission shop....I went to Buchannans went in ...told the prob. Lee said we'll do it for 1500....ford was around 3000...I aked when can you get to it....middle of next week cause there are twenty ahead of you..now, no rental cars or flights available. Lee Buchannan even got me a ride back to Fla...fine folk they are. Here is a list of what parts were needed: torque converter, P.R. valve, shift solenoid,EPC solenoid, reverse band, OD Band, 1,2,3, excel, inter spring....think they must have rebuilt everything.....I'm happy....hope4 this helps someone....Jim

Quick Reply: 2006 King Ranch F150 problems