Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

P1233 Fuel Pump Driver Module off-line????

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P1233 Fuel Pump Driver Module off-line????

My truck keeps throwing this code, anybody on here have this before and can tell me what the problem is?? There is nothing wrong with the module because if it was the truck would not be running? am I right in saying that?? or should I just go ahead and replace it. It threw another code a couple of weeks ago, Fuel Pump driver Module Fault, so I went and picked myself up a fuel pump thinking that might be the problem but I never installed it yet.

Last edited by 07harleyD; 03-06-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there have been posts on here with Fuel Pump Module's being bad and the truck running sometimes and sometimes it wont run...that is probably what it is. It is right above your spare tire, take your tire down and check out how it looks.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:54 PM

Yeah I found some posts after, I'm just gonna pick up a new one and replace it, see what happens.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:08 AM

I just had to replace mine as well, the issue is that the aluminum casing of the module get bolted right onto the steel frame which allows much greater chance of oxidizing, which in turn weakens the modules case eventualy leading to cracks and allowing water salt and other road grime inside and ruining the electronics. my suggestion when u replace it would be to spray some of that asphalt undercoating around it to minimize the oxidation that occurs.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:02 PM

Default Had the same problem

I changed it today... If you need you can get them on ebay. You will pay a little more but quicker than Ford.
Attached Thumbnails P1233 Fuel Pump Driver Module off-line????-cimg0124.jpg  
Old 03-21-2011, 06:15 PM

Holy ****!! mine wasn't that bad mine just had a crack from one end to the other.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I hope that you used a couple of shims/washers between the module and frame on the new installation. As previous posts have pointed out, the back rots out because water gets trapped. Two washers is all that's needed to allow any water to easily drain.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 AM

Default Fuel Pump Module

Yes I got the newer kit and surprisingly my truck never stopped running. i also undercoated it, never hurts. I live in PA so winters will never stop corrosion! ...LOL...
Old 01-08-2013, 12:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to add to this thread.

HAVE A GOOD LOOK AT THE WIRING HARNESS THAT RUNS ALONG THE LEFT FRAME RAIL TO THE REAR OF THE CHASSIS. LOOK ESPECIALLY CLOSE TO THE WIRES WHERE THE 2 HARNESS CONNECTIONS COME TOGETHER TO VERIFY THAT THERE AREN'T ANY BROKEN WIRES. Power to the fuel pump (located inside the fuel tank) feeds through one of those 2 connectors.

AGAIN... *** CHECK THE WIRING ALONG THE LEFT FRAME RAIL ***

This is what I found on my Ford truck:

My truck is a 2005 F150 XLT SuperCrew, 4.6 L V8. I encountered this code (DTC) P1233 - Fuel Pump Driver Module Offline recently. I took a look at the FPDM and decided to replace it due to the corrosion on it. This however was not my problem and I still could not get any power to my fuel pump. Then I started thinking the FUEL INERTIA SWITCH - I did a number of checks and could not 100% rule out whether it was the switch or not. I bypassed the switch at the wiring connector for the IFS. Still no power out to my fuel pump... scratching my head now! So then I figured I might as well try putting power (12VDC) direct to my fuel pump to see if it would run. In looking for my fuel pump wiring harness connector location on my truck, I come across the main rear chassis wiring harness running along the frame rail. This harness is between 3/4" to 1" diameter and is exposed on the outer side of the frame rail. About mid-cab (SuperCrew), there are 2 large harness connections - completely exposed to the elements. One of these locates the power connections to your tank internally-mounted fuel pump. It just so happens that I find 1 wire on one of these connectors that has completely broken away from the end of the connector - the wire insulator became very hard and brittle and cracked and the wire inside corroded over time and finally broke off. This trouble code can lead the average backyard mechanic to sink alot of $$$ and time replacing unnecessary parts... I've read in these forums where a number of owners had their trucks at dealerships for extended periods of time to correct similar problems and with much frustration and high repair bills (parts AND labor). Fortunately on my part, I lucked into finding a broken wire and my repair wasn't as extensive as some I've seen published throughout the internet. Good luck guys!

TankMech71
The following users liked this post:
Raph (08-31-2022)
Old 07-08-2013, 11:34 AM

Question fuel pump driver module

I've removed the spare tire but i can't locate my fuel pump driver module. it's not on the steel cross beam. any ideas where it could be located? please help need truck for work.

Quick Reply: P1233 Fuel Pump Driver Module off-line????