Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS Won't Reset

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 03:33 PM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default TPMS Won't Reset

My TPMS aftermarket sensors won't reset. Hoping the dealer can get them to work. Tried twice and no go. Anyone have this issue?
Old 04-13-2011, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you get a fix for this? I am having the same issue. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2011, 01:22 AM

Yes, I just took it to the dealer. Had some other work done so they just included it into the price. I've read a thread either on here or another forum that you can use a magnet to get them to reset.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:01 AM

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts

Heres what I can find in the service manual dont know what the tool is they refer to

The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) monitors the air pressure of all 4 road tires. The wheel-mounted
tire pressure sensors transmit via radio frequency signals, to the Smart Junction Box (SJB). TPMS functionality
is integral to the SJB . These transmissions are sent approximately every 60 seconds when the vehicle speed
exceeds 32 km/h (20 mph). The TPMS function (integral to the SJB ) compares each tire pressure sensor
transmission against a low-pressure limit. If it has been determined that the tire pressure has fallen below this
limit, the SJB communicates this on the vehicle communication bus to the Instrument Cluster (IC). The IC then
illuminates the TPMS indicator and displays the appropriate message(s) in the message center (if equipped).
This symptom can also be caused by a spare tire currently being used in place of a road tire. Make sure that the
spare tire is not currently in use. On vehicles with different front and rear tire pressures, if the sensors are not
trained following a tire rotation, this symptom will also be present. Advise the customer that on vehicles with
different front and rear tire pressures, the sensors must be trained as directed in the Owner's Literature.
This pinpoint test is intended to diagnose the following:
 Low air pressure in tire(s)
 Tire pressure sensor(s)
PINPOINT TEST D: TPMS INDICATOR ON SOLID AND MESSAGE CENTER (IF EQUIPPED) DISPLAYS LOW TIRE PRESSURE
D1 CHECK THE TIRE PRESSURE
 Using the Digital Tire Gauge, measure and record the air pressure in all 4 road tires.
 Adjust the air pressure for those found to be below the specification listed on the Vehicle
Certification (VC) label.

NOTE:If the vehicle has been stationary for more than 30 minutes, activate
each TPMS sensor. Refer to TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM
(TPMS) SENSOR ACTIVATION. The TPMS sensor does not transmit
when the vehicle is stationary.

 Verify system operation.
 Have the TPMS indicator and the message center (if equipped) warnings gone out?
Yes : The system is functioning normally, diagnosis is complete. INFORM the customer of correct
tire pressure maintenance as instructed in the scheduled maintenance guide and the Owner's
Literature.

1.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then press and release the brake pedal.
2.Cycle the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN
position.
3.Press and release the brake pedal.
4.Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position.
5.Turn the ignition switch from the OFF position to the RUN position 3 times, ending in the RUN position.
 The horn will sound once and the TPMS indicator will flash if the training mode has been entered
successfully. If equipped, the message center will display TRAIN LF TIRE.
6.Place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the LF tire sidewall at the valve stem. Press and
release the test button on the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool. The horn will sound briefly to
indicate that the tire pressure sensor has been recognized by the SJB .
7.Within 2 minutes of the horn sounding, place the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool on the RF tire
sidewall at the valve stem and press and release the test button to train the RF tire pressure sensor.
Fig. 16: Identifying Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Courtesy of FORD MOTOR CO.
8.Repeat Step 7 for the RR and LR tires.
The procedure is completed after the last tire has been trained. When the training procedure is complete,
the message center (if equipped) will display TIRE TRAINING COMPLETE.
For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be
NOTE:It may take up to 6 seconds to activate a tire pressure sensor. During this
time, the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool must remain in place at the
valve stem.
NOTEo not wait more than 2 minutes between training each sensor or the SJB
will time out and the entire procedure must be repeated.
For vehicles not equipped with a message center, successful completion of the training procedure will be
verified by turning the ignition switch to the OFF position without the horn sounding. If the horn sounds
twice when the switch is turned to the OFF position, the training procedure was not successful.
.Using the scan tool, locate the updated TPMS sensor identifiers trained to the SJB and document them on
the applicable warranty claim.
.If the sensors are being trained due to the installation of a new SJB , clear any DTCs and carry out the
SJB On-Demand Self Test.
PRESSURE MONITORING SYSTEM (TPMS) SENSOR ACTIVATION
Tool(s)
CIAL TOOL SPECIFICATIONS
.Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
NOTE:This step is required to clear DTC C2780, cause the SJB to exit the
manufacturing mode and to make sure there are no other concerns with a
newly programmed SJB .
Activation Tool, Tire Pressure Monitor
204-363, or Customer Activation Tool, Tire
Pressure Monitor
TE:The tire pressure sensors will go into a "sleep mode" when a vehicle is
stationary to conserve battery power. The sensors do not transmit information
while in sleep mode. It will be necessary to wake them up so they will transmit
the latest tire pressure information.

2.Position the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool against the LF tire sidewall at the tire valve stem.
3.Press the test button on the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool to activate the sensor. Activate the
sensor at least 2 times.
4.Repeat Steps 2 and 3 for the remaining tires.
5.If the Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) indicator remains illuminated after adjusting and
activating each sensor, refer to the SYMPTOM CHART.
NOTE:The Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool will provide feedback in the
form of a flashing green light and a beep sound for each successful
response from a tire pressure sensor. This feedback may not always be
present, do not rely on it as a confirmation that the module heard a
particular sensor.
NOTE:If a sensor does not respond to the Tire Pressure Monitor Activation Tool,
move the vehicle to rotate the wheels at least one-fourth of a turn and
attempt to activate the same sensor again. If the sensor still does not
respond, attempt to activate the same sensor again using the customer
activation tool (if available). If the sensor still fails to train, attempt to train
the sensor with the vehicle doors open.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:22 AM
ℳℴↁ℮ℜ@大☢®

Received 47 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine has gone haywire twice and neither time it would reset itself. Took it to the local dealer, they recalibrated the system with a handheld tool, and within 5 minutes I was on my way.

Still annoying though considering both occurrences happened at less than 10k miles...

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 04-16-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank You!!!

Finally after 3 weeks....I got the new TPMS to reset. I bought the reset tool and was following the instructions in the owners manual. I used the reset tool instead of letting air out of the tires and it did not work...

However, doing the brake pedal/ignition procedure with the reset tool worked! I read a lot of threads on here and I must not have followed them correctly. I didnt realize the brake/ignition procedure was for the 2010 model. I only thought the hazard light/ignition was the only way to put it in program mode.

Anyways, I am all set...thanks again!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:17 PM

Thumbs down

So basically the owners manual is wrong as there's no mention of the brake pedal method nor tool.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:53 AM
Master Electrician

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

they had a problem resetting mine when i got my bigger tires. they had to take it out of the shop to reset it. tech said other radios' signals were interfering with its ability to communicate using that hand held device.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Im buying rims and tires online. What kit do I need to purchase for my tpms to work?
Old 05-20-2011, 06:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4KayakGuy
Im buying rims and tires online. What kit do I need to purchase for my tpms to work?
Just my personal experience. NEVER buy wheels online. If they flake like my wheels did it is a real pain to get them replaced. At least if you buy them local you can stop by the place you bought them from and let them get the wheels replaced.

Quick Reply: TPMS Won't Reset