Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

2005 Ford F-150 FX4 Transmission Problem

Old 02-19-2011, 07:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 Ford F-150 FX4 Transmission Problem

If anyone could help I would appreciate it. I recently was driving my Ford today when just as I got around the corner from my home my transmission began to slip and run really rough as I drove forward and hesitated. It acted as if it was having problems changing into gears. I checked the transmission fluid on the dip stick and it showed that it was in the cold area. The dip stick reads cold, hot and do not add. I went to the local automotive store and they said to add transmission fluid. I added just a little less than half through the dip stick area. As I drove it again the over drive light began to blink off and on. When I put the vehicle in reverse and drive, it runs smooth. Anyone have any idea what may be causing this? Please help! Hoping it's not a rebuild and may be just a sensor.

Nick
The following users liked this post:
Aaron Beckwith (01-22-2014)
Old 02-22-2011, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had a similar problem i was just driving and noticed that mine was starting to slip, when going from first to second and starting, i thought it was my torque converter, on my way to the repair shop, i had a crunch and it threw up an trans fault and it wouldnt move at all, turns out due to heat, first gear came loose and caused a bunch of damage and now im with out a truck for a month. My truck also had had all regular oil changes and has 120kms on it.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:33 AM

sounds like the same problem im having but mine starts out like its in second or third gear but once I get to about 40 its fine the od light blinks and i'm getting 2 error codes from my edge both of which mean improper 1st and 2nd gear ratio I'm dropping mine off wendsday to get it figured out so when I know whats wrong with mine I'll post it
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

If the light is blinking codes.. get the codes checked...
Old 02-23-2011, 09:00 AM

Well I got my truck checked out yesterday and found out that I have to buy a rebuilt transmission for $2,192 dollars. The first gear was apparently shot. The mechanic told me that Ford has the worst transmissions because of the parts they use. They were able to get a Jasper rebuilt transmission out of Philadelphia which has a 3 year/100,000 mile warranty that covers parts and labor. When all is said and done I will be paying about $3,000 bucks for this crap. Im going to call Ford Motor Company today because this is unacceptable for a truck that only has 77,000 miles on it and I do not tow anything besides a 6x12 trailer to the garbage dump now and then. And of course this had to happen when i was only 2000 miles over the warranty. The best thing was that Ford had replaced some U joints in the drive shaft because they usually go on Fords also. Well my mechanic found that they did not balance the driveshaft so now my rear differential rubber gasket is all screwed up. Not only do I have to get my transmission done I have to bring it back to the Ford Dealership to get the crap they did wrong fixed. Can't say if that was the cause of the transmission going but I would say it is. Impossible to prove though. Thanks everyone for the information.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:08 AM

Angry Hubs

I have a 2005 F150, 78K-I had a 75,000 warranty. Always maintained by a Ford dealer. I took it in about a year ago complaining that there was a "high pitched" whine coming from the passengers side. Don't remember what was done, but they fixed it(?). Yesterday, same thing was happening; took it in to the dealer-now they say that I need two new hubs-about $1000 with labor. Thoughts?
Old 05-27-2013, 08:07 PM

2005 f-150 4x4 5.4L Lariat, after my failsafe light came on and I changed my Throttle body assmebly my speed odometer, gas petal adjustment doesnt work and my truck wont switch gears while Im driving, I changed the shift solenoid, pressure solenoid and filter and fluid, checked all fuses and still have the problem???? I have codes 54, 708, 713, 740, 743, 960, 1702!!!!??????

Last edited by bcrich50; 05-27-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 05-27-2013, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Ntowns9978
If anyone could help I would appreciate it. I recently was driving my Ford today when just as I got around the corner from my home my transmission began to slip and run really rough as I drove forward and hesitated. It acted as if it was having problems changing into gears. I checked the transmission fluid on the dip stick and it showed that it was in the cold area. The dip stick reads cold, hot and do not add. I went to the local automotive store and they said to add transmission fluid. I added just a little less than half through the dip stick area. As I drove it again the over drive light began to blink off and on. When I put the vehicle in reverse and drive, it runs smooth. Anyone have any idea what may be causing this? Please help! Hoping it's not a rebuild and may be just a sensor.

Nick
I know exactly what your going through, It just happened to me last week. I have a 04 Lariat 5.4L, and it's in the hop now. I was driving down the highway and I felt my gears slipping. My OD light went flashing. It just got worse about a half hour from my house. I had plenty of rpm and no push from the rear. It would catch and then go, so I just got it home after kicking the crap out of the transmission. ( don't recommend driving it while that going on ). I got it towed to my local machine shop.

It's the torque converter...... Get it in the shop ASAP before you start racking up the $$$$

I trashed the transmission, Burt out all the gears, cracks and pcs of metal everywhere. It's not pretty boys.

I had my transmission rebuilt about 3 months ago and the guy who did it didn't change out the converter so what ever pcs of metal were in the went back in to the gears. He's a piece of work, anyways it's being rebuilt now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Ford F-150 FX4 Transmission Problem