Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quality of Fuel?? Chevron vs Shell vs Costco/Sams Club??

Old 01-13-2011, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Quality of Fuel?? Chevron vs Shell vs Costco/Sams Club??

Hey everyone! I just bought a new 2010 4x4, and I am just about ready to fill up my first tank of gas. I know Ford recommends 87 octane and putting a higher octane really isn't a good idea.

But what are your thoughts on the brand of gas? I hear Chevron is the best due to their additives that keep the engine "clean(er)." But does that mean its ok to buy gas at Sam's Club or Costco, as long as you put some additive (techron)?

What are your thoughts on gas from Sam's Club and Costco?

Thanks!
Old 01-13-2011, 04:23 PM
call me Randy

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

i like costo gas, its usually cheaper than most around
Old 01-13-2011, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't bother with the bottles of additives like Techron. Instead, I just fill up at a major brand station except Citgo. I avoid Citgo because they are owned by the Venezuelan government and I don't like giving money to enemies of the US.

I'm sure Sam's or Costco is fine. Probably the same gas from the central distributors as the other brands.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:27 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by mlts22
I don't bother with the bottles of additives like Techron. Instead, I just fill up at a major brand station except Citgo. I avoid Citgo because they are owned by the Venezuelan government and I don't like giving money to enemies of the US

The only person you're affecting by doing that is the station owner (just like people boycotting BP....didn't affect BP, but sure screwed a lot of small businessmen). Fuel is a fungible commodity, CITGO is going to sell it regardless.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:51 PM

Received 531 Likes on 407 Posts

No Chevron's around here. Lots of Shell's and BP's.

Never bought gas as Costco either.

For a while, the gas at SAMS was supplied by Murphy Oil, the same supplies that you see at the Wal-Marts.

The 87 gas at Murphy would NOT run in my car. Knocked like crazy.
I will NOT try it in my new truck!

I've found the BP gas to be the best for me! As well, I get reward points which results in a FREE $25 gift card.
Plus BP started a free $10 gift card with every 5 purchase of 8 gallons of gas.

Originally Posted by gone postal
The only person you're affecting by doing that is the station owner (just like people boycotting BP....didn't affect BP, but sure screwed a lot of small businessmen). Fuel is a fungible commodity, CITGO is going to sell it regardless.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

That's a loaded question for sure. You'll get as many opinions on the best fuel about like which is the best oil.

Having said that. The best brand fuels I've used are,

1. Exxon
2. BP
3. Union 76
4. Chevron

None of which are in my area.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:38 PM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Except for additives there is no difference in your basic gasoline. In fact most of the time they all come from the same refinery and each brand has their additives added where their tankers fill up, this includes ethanol. The best tip is to always get you gas and diesel at a station that pumps a lot of both. That way you get the freshest product. With diesel this is particularly important. Diesel fuel can get contaminated with bacterial growth and it is very important it is as fresh as possible. I always filled my diesel vehicles at a local truck stop after checking things out with truckers to find out which truck stop takes the best care of their fuel stocks. This is particularly important in the winter when water contaminated diesel can leave you stranded. Water in gasoline is bad enough but in diesel fuel it can damage your injectors. Freshness in both fuels is very important thanks to all of the regional blends required by the government gasoline and diesel does goes rancid rather fast. What you have to watch is scumbag stations the add additional ethanol to their gasoline which they get on the black market at a cheap price. The best way to avoid this is again getting all of your fuel at a local truck stop, or a trusted local gas station .

Last edited by transmaster; 01-13-2011 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:58 PM
oldphart

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default I guess everyone has a favorite..........

and I am no exception....... it seems to me that my truck and cars always ran a little smoother and quieter when i filled with Shell......or Chevron........ some of the others in my area seem to have added more than a little ethanol and that always diminished my perveived, if not real, power as well as delivered a lower MPG figure......
Old 01-13-2011, 11:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000MTZ
i like costo gas, its usually cheaper than most around
Problem with the one where I live is that the line up is backed out onto the street so it's not worth sitting there to save a few dollars.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to burst your bubbles (opinions), but I live close enough to a gasoline distribution facility to know how it works. The facility has about a half dozen very large tanks that are supplied by pipeline. Based on what I have seen going on there, you do not have any idea of what brand you are buying when you fill up.

The distribution terminal has Citgo's name out on the big sign at the main gate. Every time I go by, I look at the trucks filling up and sitting in line waiting to be filled. I see trucks with logos of all the major brands, including Exxon, Shell, Chevron, etc. sitting in the same lines where all the independents are waiting & filling. All of them get their gasoline from the same storage tanks.

An earlier poster may be right about additives being added in the individual trucks, I don't know about that. However, I do know that ethanol is added to the individual truck tanks at that terminal. It is not added at the refinery and then pumped via the pipeline because the ethanol would corrode the pipeline itself.

So, if you were to buy Shell or Exxon in my area of the country, it came from that Citgo distributiion facility unless the station got it from another storage facility, which is doubtful.

Last edited by jonquil; 01-14-2011 at 12:48 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quality of Fuel?? Chevron vs Shell vs Costco/Sams Club??