Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Telescoping Steering Column

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Telescoping Steering Column

I have been trying to figure this out as this is an important feature for me. Dealer guy didn't know and it is unclear from the brochure:

NEW POWER-TILT/
TELESCOPING STEERING
COLUMN includes a
memory feature that allows
2 different drivers to store
their unique settings and
recall them in an instant.
Standard on KING RANCH,
PLATINUM, the new
LARIAT LIMITED, and Ford
Harley-DavidsonTM F-150.

It says that this is standard on KING RANCH and up. So, is it an option on anything else? Specifically, I want a Lariat, anything above that gets too pricey. Can I get telescoping steering on a Lariat as an option or do I have to go up to one of the +$40k trucks to get this option? I really don't care if it is power or has memory, I just need to be able to telescope out the steering wheel as I am tall and put the seat back quite a bit.

-Jason, Leander, Tx
Old 12-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Okie Coupe

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

I just got to browse through a 2011 F150 brochure that shows all of the optional equipment. My dealer just got the brochures in a couple days ago. I'm sure your dealer would be able to answer that question for you.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:26 PM
The Bees Knees

Standard means it is included on those trim levels, I'm sure it can come on or be ordered for any trim package...But that is just an assumption by me, don't take it for fact.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You can get manual telescoping steering column on FX2 and FX4.

Here is a link to the 2011 order guide. http://home.comcast.net/~apt_lexus/F150/2011_F-150_Order_Guide_Extract.pdf
Old 12-21-2010, 09:47 AM

Thanks, JRVicHammer
It does include manual telescoping steering column on page 2 as an interior feature and then the power one on the luxury trucks.

It lists this as an option for the Lariat:
Leather-Trimmed Bucket Seats w/heated and cooled 10-way power
driver and passenger seats, memory driver seat, Full Console (incl.
rear air vent) & Floor Shift, manual telescoping steering column and
110v inverter

Though I really don't want the bucket seats and console, which seems like a big waste of space to me. That is one of the main reasons I didn't want to go for the King Ranch. I want the full front seat for seating. A shifter for an automatic transmission taking up all that space in a large console is just silly in my opinion.

I am also dissappointed that they no longer offer the burgundy red color, but I must be one of the few people left who doesn't want a gray-scale vehicle.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it this?

Originally Posted by jasonf
Specifically, I want a Lariat, anything above that gets too pricey.
Or this?

Though I really don't want the bucket seats and console, which seems like a big waste of space to me. That is one of the main reasons I didn't want to go for the King Ranch
Most lot Lariat's have the flow through console as well, though they can be ordered without it. So, if you want a Lariat without the flow through console you should still be able to get the manual telescopic wheel. The seat configuration should have no bearing on the steering wheel functionality, just whether it's heated/cooled, etc..
Old 12-21-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Justi
Is it this?

Or this?

Most lot Lariat's have the flow through console as well, though they can be ordered without it. So, if you want a Lariat without the flow through console you should still be able to get the manual telescopic wheel. The seat configuration should have no bearing on the steering wheel functionality, just whether it's heated/cooled, etc..
Yes, I am hoping that is the case. I like the Lariat interior, but want the 40/20/40 seat for passenger room (I have children). I am also 6'4" and my 1994 F150 was a bit cramped. I have sat in a 2010 Super cab and Crew cab and I must say that the leg room is a lot nicer. And now I can get a 5.0 again. The 302 in my '94 was very reliable, never once had to go down into the engine in 14 years; just electronic issues.

As far as heated or cooled seats/steering wheel - I don't want them and don't like having to pay for them as part of some package. I live near Austin and have lived near Tulsa and have never once in my life wanted my vehicle's seats to produce heat. My wife has these features in her car. The cooled seat makes me feel as though I have wet my pants.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:30 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My uncle has an '09 Lariat without the flow through console. I prefer the flow through console and had it on my '04 Lariat and now on my '09 FX4. I am 6'6" and have plenty of room. I think I like the console because I can rest my hand on the shifter.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:34 PM

Received 366 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by JRVicHammer
My uncle has an '09 Lariat without the flow through console. I prefer the flow through console and had it on my '04 Lariat and now on my '09 FX4. I am 6'6" and have plenty of room. I think I like the console because I can rest my hand on the shifter.
+1, -the uncle, haha! I think the flow through is way better/more comfortable. you still have room for 4 other people, do you really need 5 extra seats?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:58 PM
Retired and loving it!

Received 536 Likes on 398 Posts

And now I can get a 5.0 again. The 302 in my '94 was very reliable, never once had to go down into the engine in 14 years; just electronic issues.
JFWIW......the 302 in your 94 has VERY little in common with the new modular 5.0. I'd be surprised if even one bolt interchanged. Although it is "cool" to have the 5.0 back ---- check out the real displacement. Ford is "rounding up."

Quick Reply: Telescoping Steering Column