Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1997 ford f150 4.2 charging system

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 ford f150 4.2 charging system

This past saturday, my trucks battery light came on. Of course, you automatically think battery first, until you consider the fact that the battery was bought with the past 4 months. (I also tested the battery and took it into work to put on the tester/charger) Next thought: Alternator. I replaced the alternator Sunday and even after, the battery light stayed on, and the volt meter just keeps dropping.I question whether I may have gotten a faulty one, which is why I am going to warranty this one today and give that a shot. The load tester says low regulator voltage. Other than a loose connection, what could be the problem? I am trying to get ideas before I go out today and try to figure it out. Alternator is an easy replacement, so that is why I am going to try and see if I may have just gotten a faulty one. I work at O'reilly auto parts, so its no big deal to grab one.

Any suggestions just please let me know. I just replaced one of the battery cables, so I am going to mess with that a little bit today also so I can see if maybe there is just a loose connection. Hoping to get this taken care of by tonight considering I need the truck to drive about 120-130 miles every day. Had to borrow a car from the in laws this week. Have a mustang, but it doesn't have legal plates right now. (because its for sale, didn't want to renew if I am going to sell it.)

Thanks for any help.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:27 PM

Ck your grounds also the ground connection inside the pass side kick panel.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:55 PM

Well once I got home, I took my multimeter out, and jump started the truck from the mustang.
I check the voltage from the positive post (grounded the meter to the battery) and the alternator was only pushing 9.8 volts. 5 volts shy of a good alternator. My new alternator should be here Thursday at the absolute latest. I will keep you updated. Another thought given by a guy that comes into the store frequently was the fuse link between the alternator and solenoid. I figure I will check that, my grounds, and for loose connections if the next alternator does the same thing.

Thanks for your help baldtire
Old 12-15-2010, 06:28 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

i wouldnt buy an altenator from autozone or oreillys... they are known to fail fast.. and fail often.. i have all my altenators and starters rebuilt... a reman alt from AZ or Oreillys is built on a lean diet all solders are spot soldered ....prone to fail quick and often........... best thing about them you can get a lifetime warrenty... you can usually have one rebuilt for around the same price as a reman from the parts stores

Quick Reply: 1997 ford f150 4.2 charging system