Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Clutch Pack Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clutch Pack Replacement

How difficult is it to replace rear LS differential Clutch Pack in a '04 FX4? Is this better left to professionals?
I am going to try and replace fluid and add conditioner to try and fix the rear end shutter when turning from a stop. Is mobil 1 as good or better than the ford fluid and should conditioner still be added. I know it drpends on how bad clutches are,but how offten does fluid change solve the problem? I just got truck but has been driven about 3000 mi with the problem. Truck now has 45000 mi.
any helpfull input would be appreciated
Thanks
Garycw
Old 12-09-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine on my 94 8.8 rear. about an hour to do it. Pull wheels and drums, drop fluid, remove c clips. Now you may be able to do it, with out removing the carrier. I did not have to remove mine. Remove cross shaft, and axles. reach in and remove the old clutch packs from each side. Reinstall new clutch packs. You should be able to find a video on the order on you tube.
Use that order as the clutch and shims from the factory dont exactly all mesh together. I got the rebuild kit and spider gear kit for mine from Dealership for $130 out the door with tax. Another $42 for a new cross shaft because mine was nerfed. You can upgrade to a carbon fiber clutch pack as well. Mobil ! should exceed factory fluid, don't know if that'll stop your shudder.

Last edited by jeepfan93; 12-09-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pack Replacement