Topic Sponsor
Pre- 1987 / Classic Corner Have a classic Ford F150 truck? Want a classic? Discuss your pre-1987 Ford F150 truck.

Air pump removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air pump removal

What all is involved with removal of the air pump.Had my truck inspected and had to put a belt on it to get a sticker.Man told me if it was gone he would have passed it,but because it was on it had to be operational.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill tell you this, Ive got an 85 with EFI 302 and I pulled mine off and it was very simple, there was a vacuum line and another line running around the back side of the engine so I pulled the pump and just plugged the vacuum line and the hose running into what I think was into the exhaust and Ive had no issues since. Very easy though only took about 20 mins.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My question is the same. DO you run vacuum to the solenoids after deletion or do you plug vacuum before solenoids? Do you leave harness plugged into solenoids? I think the air pump is for emissions, but it also adds air to the exhaust which prevents against backfiring and also wouldn't the ecm try to lean up the mix due the the reading of the o2 sensor reasing less air? I am having a similar problem in which my air pump seized up and has no belt on it (bought it like that) and now am dealing with vacuum heaven. Also, do you delete the egr to counteract the loss of air pump? I can just imagine, I will probably be getting 3 mpg when I get it running well.

Btw, truck is 1985 f150, supercab, long bed, 302 efi.

Quick Reply: Air pump removal