Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Front-end noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front-end noise

Hi,

I have a 04 F150, XLT 4x4, 4.6l and I noticed a slight whinning noise coming from the driver side front end about a week a go. Now it seems to be getting louder, so my frist thought was a wheel bearing. So I jacked it up to check for any play but all seem solid on both front wheels. Then when I drove it again I engaged 4-Hi and the whinning noise completely went away.

Anyone have any ideas what this might be before I take it to a garage for repair?

Thanks,

Krazy
Old 03-03-2008, 08:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It might be the automatic locking hubs which are vacum controled. Its a common problem with our trucks and requires replacment of a vacum valve to fix... if thats your issue.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:45 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

That is a problem with these trucks, it could be a hub bearing issue too. On a smooth road with no traffic drive till the noise is the loudest and rock the steering wheel from side to side. I use lane to lane. If the noise stays the same its probably not the bearings. If it gets louder and softer then it is most likely the bearings.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:40 PM

Default Same problem

My 04 is doing the same thing and from what I can tell on these forums it is not uncommon. Cost $350 two months ago to fix the left. Now the right is doing it. My Chevys never did this. Also have an engine ticking that Ford says is "normal". Yeah right!

My advise: If you are going to own a F-150, make sure it is in warranty.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wingsaircharter
My 04 is doing the same thing and from what I can tell on these forums it is not uncommon. Cost $350 two months ago to fix the left. Now the right is doing it. My Chevys never did this. Also have an engine ticking that Ford says is "normal". Yeah right!

My advise: If you are going to own a F-150, make sure it is in warranty.

Your '04 has had at least two recalls(HLAs) that address ticking heads. If these recalls have been performed then use better oil and change it more frequently and the ticking will stop. If you have to open the hood to hear the ticking then you are hearing the fuel injectors.

No offense, but if you can't tell how much better these trucks are than Chevys then somethings wrong with you. Even the very newest Chevys are out of the F150's league. I've driven all of these trucks and the Ford is just a better truck. The Chevy engine is obviously very reliable, but they have serious problems with fit and finish. If the Chevys were any better than Fords I'd buy them, but they aren't.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:29 AM

Default Reliability

Thanks for your reply to my Ford dig. I've owned 3 Fords in the last 5 years and all three have had a fair amount of problems with less than 20,000 miles on them. Unfortunately for me, even though the miles were low, they were just out of time warranty when I got them. The 2002 F350 Diesel had warped discs, two electric seats out, and something on the end of the cam that would sometimes make it not start. Over $1000 in repairs.

My 2004 F150 has the ticking problem. Cost $90.00 for my Ford dealer to tell me it is "normal". Was told rear axle seals leaking slightly with less than 20k is "normal" maintenance to have to replace. Was told having to replace actuators because water gets in lines is normal despite the low mileage and the fact that Ford came out with an updated part that has a "hood" over it to "solve" the problem. My point is Ford should be paying for this stuff if they are having so many premature problems. By looking at this and other forums, there are problems with lots of the fleet.

I haven't been to the Chevy forum to see if they are having problems but my Chevys were always more reliable.

BTW, the Ford dealers that I have talked to always seem so "surprised" at the issues that I am having despite not having to go very deep into these forums to see much of the same. They never tell me about any factory sponsered recalls.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:28 AM

Thanks for the replys I have scheduled an appointment with a Ford dealer on Friday to have a look at my problem. I have an extended warranty (not from Ford) so hopefully that may be covered under that plan. But I get an uneasy feeling when they asked me if I bought the vehicle from them....I didn't.

As for manufactures having known issues with vehicles I think every manufacture has there share of problems. The way some manufactures have the dealer's look after everything is a problem. I had a new Mazda Protege that has a lot of issues and when some items could not be resolved at the dealer level I called the manufacture but there response was that they had no control of what the dealer does. Now in my thinking if I were to own a company and expand it, I would have it set-up like a franchise and hold each one to the same standards of service. If not then pull the franchise licence. But I guess the manufactures don't care as the more dealerships open, then the more vehicles they hope to sell in each location.

I think the Japanese companies saw this as a weakness on the american manufactures and seem to have tighter control over there dealers.

Another point as to quality of the vehicle are the employees who make the vehicles and the relationship between management. The think they have a long way to go to get quality up a few steps. I believe I read that GM sold over 9 million vehicles, just 3000 behind Toyota last year.

So with that large amount your going have issues with some models but it's all in how they are prepared to deal with it that would make the biggest impact on customers and reputation. Ford may be better off to absorbe the cost upfront, in return for more satisfied customers and having them come back a purchase again.

Krazy
Old 03-04-2008, 11:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by krazy_knuck
Thanks for the replys I have scheduled an appointment with a Ford dealer on Friday to have a look at my problem. I have an extended warranty (not from Ford) so hopefully that may be covered under that plan. But I get an uneasy feeling when they asked me if I bought the vehicle from them....I didn't.

As for manufactures having known issues with vehicles I think every manufacture has there share of problems. The way some manufactures have the dealer's look after everything is a problem. I had a new Mazda Protege that has a lot of issues and when some items could not be resolved at the dealer level I called the manufacture but there response was that they had no control of what the dealer does. Now in my thinking if I were to own a company and expand it, I would have it set-up like a franchise and hold each one to the same standards of service. If not then pull the franchise licence. But I guess the manufactures don't care as the more dealerships open, then the more vehicles they hope to sell in each location.

I think the Japanese companies saw this as a weakness on the american manufactures and seem to have tighter control over there dealers.

Another point as to quality of the vehicle are the employees who make the vehicles and the relationship between management. The think they have a long way to go to get quality up a few steps. I believe I read that GM sold over 9 million vehicles, just 3000 behind Toyota last year.

So with that large amount your going have issues with some models but it's all in how they are prepared to deal with it that would make the biggest impact on customers and reputation. Ford may be better off to absorbe the cost upfront, in return for more satisfied customers and having them come back a purchase again.

Krazy
Hey, I've gotten that same feeling from a dealer that I needed service from, but who didn't sell me my truck. My suggestion is to tell them that either you moved and need a new dealer for your Fords, or that you didn't get good service and want to find a new dealership. Which ever is more accurate would work well. Either way they see business coming their way in the future if they do good and reasonable work to your current Fords.

My opinion is that Chevys are not good trucks because they aren't designed very well. Ford customer service is horrific and will screw you in the rear if you have problems. Dodges have terrible resale value. Toyotas are ugly and have no character. Nissans look silly. I chose a Ford because I chose to gamble on the quality in spite of the service.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Jake

Yeah, I had the same problem with my truck back in November. They said it had a pinhole leak in my vaccum hose on my front hubs. I took it another dealer that wasn't the one I bought it from. And had a warranty but it wasn't a ford factory warranty and it wasn't covered. 300 bucks. And what sucks now is that is doing it again.

Do you pull a trailer with your truck? And if you do, did this start after you pulled it? Mine got really load when i pulled my toy hauler last weekend.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:51 AM

Default $2000 in repairs

My less than 30,000 mile 2004 F150 needs at least $2000.00 in repairs to fix the main things wrong with it.

$700.00 for two front actuators and solenoid to make it stop grinding in two wheel drive because FORD didn't put a cover on the original solenoind and water gets in the hubs.

$700.00 to fix the chatter in the rear end because of the clutches.

$700.00 or more to fix the cam phasers and to try to get rid of the engine ticking that has been there since it had about 18,000 miles on it.

I called Ford who called the dealer and together they would do NOTHING to participate in the repairs to this inferior product even though there are service bullitens an ALL THREE items.

I will NEVER own a FORD again that is not under warranty.

Again, I refer to my post above, Robotaz and other Ford owners, Don't own a FORD that is not in warranty by miles AND date! Otherwise plan to spend considerable $$$ to keep it going from low miles on.

Quick Reply: Front-end noise