Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Transmission Range Sensor Bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Range Sensor Bad

Well after months of stuttering at idle, no low end power loss of acceleration truck finally threw a 705 code? Dont quote me on that but it said transmission range sensor circuit malfunction. Which leads me to believe the sensor is bad i got the part and am wondering if anyone knows/ has any tips to installing this?

It looks pretty basic but at the same time looks like it could be temperamental to get the range correct. I would assume as long as the neutral lines line up on the sensor and the tranny is in neutral its pretty much just bolt everything back up after that. Anyone with anything on this? I could not find any threads on this other than "yeah that codes almost always the sensor"
Old 09-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Worked for Me:

That device in a Lincoln TC is called an MLP sensor, Manual Lever Position sensor....it's the same animal as the device in your ride.
The MLP was messing up (Code 634 in the OBD1 system), so I pulled it off, exercised the heck out of it by rotating the center sleeve briskly from end to end, added a drop or two of light oil between the sleeve and sensor body, cleaned the connectors, aligned the neutral marks with the shift lever in neutral and reassembled the device to the tranny....that was three years ago and everything has been working nicely.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kattumaram
That device in a Lincoln TC is called an MLP sensor, Manual Lever Position sensor....it's the same animal as the device in your ride.
The MLP was messing up (Code 634 in the OBD1 system), so I pulled it off, exercised the heck out of it by rotating the center sleeve briskly from end to end, added a drop or two of light oil between the sleeve and sensor body, cleaned the connectors, aligned the neutral marks with the shift lever in neutral and reassembled the device to the tranny....that was three years ago and everything has been working nicely.
nice! well i took full advantage of my dealer discount and got the direct motocraft one for 45 bucks! so i'll throw it on tomorrow. but i'll store that one in the memory bank. what symptoms was you're car experiencing? similar? i pm'd you a while back it took forever to trip the c.e.l.thanks!
Old 09-05-2010, 07:02 AM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Scary:

The tranny felt as if it wanted to suddenly change gears. While cruising in OD the tranny would lurch and slam in and out of gear....very scary stuff.

Quick Reply: Transmission Range Sensor Bad