Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Oil leak.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oil leak.

I have 98 4.6L. I noticed small oil drips on the ground under the front part of the motor a few weeks ago and began to look under the hood. There was oil beginning to collect on parts on the front of the motor and my electric fans im guess from the drive belt spraying it everywhere. Its not the Power steering cuz i check those hoses and I checked my oil and it was a little low. Any ideas on what this could be?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:25 PM

I think the leak is coming from the area right behind the power steering pump. I wiped the area down and it was the quickest to get wet again and while looking under the truck the driver side has much more oil under than the passenger side so im pretty sure thats where it is coming from. Could it be just a worn out seal?
Old 08-19-2010, 11:40 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a saying among military helicopter pilots when the troops being transported tell the them that they see one of the many visible hydraulic lines is leaking:
"If it ain't bleeding, it ain't alive".
Even new engines leak a little oil or fluids sometimes, I would just keep an eye on it but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Retired Aerospace

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Common Problem:

The gasket between the engine block and the oil filter adapter has given out. It's a hardbody gasket with red silicon rubber seals and costs about ten bucks. The adapter is also associated with the bottom radiator hose barb, so the radiator needs to be drained before the adapter can be pulled off.

BTW: My '97 XLT 4.6L at 125K miles does not leak any engine fluid anywhere. Everything under the hood and under the engine is dusty dry. If your ride is leaking oil, it is not a "normal" condition, so dope it out and fix it.

Last edited by Kattumaram; 08-19-2010 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:30 AM

Wednesday evening I was driving the truck and I smelt something burning which wasn't out of the ordinary because I live in the country, so I didn't think much of it. People burn garbage and stuff all the time. Well I got home and when I step out of the truck there was that same smell. It was a mix of oil and rubber smell and I saw a little bit of white-ish smoke coming out from the driver side front wheel area. So I got a flashlight and looked and saw oil everywhere and smoldering on the manifold. Well it turns out the oil leak was coming from the bottom driver side of the timing cover. I didn't really want to mess with the labor since Im really busy with preparing for college, so I took it in to a local shop. $550 and some change for a new gasket for the timing cover, both valve cover gaskets, and went ahead and got a new water pump for peace of mind since they were already in there working.

Thanks for your replys.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:12 AM

If you got all that done for $ 550.00 they treated your right.
I am surprised that gasket went from not much to spewing oil but that happens some times. Did you put additives in the oil? The reason I asked is that a Ford mechanic told me additives will blow oil gaskets and a lot of people reponsed that was not true when I posted it.
Thanks for sharing what it was.
If I need that work I am headed your way because where I am they would have charged a grand for that.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:28 AM

No additives. I use 5w40 rotella synthetic.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Free6ird
No additives. I use 5w40 rotella synthetic.
I would drop down to 5W -30 just to be safe. 5W-40 is a little thick for a Ford engine. I don't know your engine but whatever the manual says is what I would use. Ford engines are known to be very sensitive to the type of oil you use due to lubrication and oil pressure issues. Just a suggestion.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:42 AM

OK I will look into that. My dad always used 5w40 before he gave the truck to me and I just never thought much of it. Thanks for that suggestion.

Quick Reply: Oil leak.