Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Straight Pipes, how to??

Old 08-04-2010, 07:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Straight Pipes, how to??

Hi

I want to make my truck a louder, the way it should, for me is really expensive get some new muffler, cause final cost will be to much.

So i was thinking about doing some straight pipes with dual exit, i don't know anything about this, but i want to be a little more informed when i get to the shop to do this.

So i read about X pipes and Y pipes, which one is the best way. I don't want to remove the cats, don't want to mess with codes and those things:

X pipes and 2 outlets, 2.5" or 3"????

or

Y pipes in cats and the Y pipes to dual exits 2.5" or 3"???

Inform me a little about this, and is the MPG be affected by this, or what other things should i spec??
Old 08-04-2010, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Straight pipes are going to be pretty loud. However, if you don't like them, it's an easy fix to cut a section of pipe out and throw a muffler on.

Basically, from your cats are already "Y piped" then a single pipe goes to muffler, to exit.
IMO, cut the Y-pipe out, and just run straight duals from the cats, straight out the back.

As far as effecting MPG, it won't be enough either way to notice.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't care much about dual....... never liked having two bubbles when backing in the boat.......

I straight piped mine..... I measured the length of the muffler- had a piece of pipe cut and flanged- cut out the muffler then welded in the new pipe... Cost me 13 bucks and is ALMOST just as good as any bolt on exhaust system... I'm sure if I put my truck on a dyno with my straight pipe vs a dynomax or some other exhaust system I would be very close to the same numbers...... People who say you lose power are way over exaggerating.... As far as seat of the pants- it's about the same- well above stock.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would take the cats off! I think the easiest way may be to split it off where the muffler is and y pipe it from there. That will use less pipe and keep the cost down. And definitly some 3 or 4 in chrome tips at the exits. I will warn you that straight pipes on these trucks are very loud.
Old 08-04-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turkey Hunter
I would take the cats off! I think the easiest way may be to split it off where the muffler is and y pipe it from there. That will use less pipe and keep the cost down. And definitly some 3 or 4 in chrome tips at the exits. I will warn you that straight pipes on these trucks are very loud.

My neighbors hate me........
Old 08-04-2010, 08:02 PM

I personally would recommend. High Flow Cats, X piped, and Dual Dynomax Bullets. This is the exact setup i'm going to. Have all the parts in my garage just have to find time to go have it tacked up.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by MRLSU2U
I personally would recommend. High Flow Cats, X piped, and Dual Dynomax Bullets. This is the exact setup i'm going to. Have all the parts in my garage just have to find time to go have it tacked up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhWb1tBbCks
This setup will be more expensive than getting the muffler.
Want loud but keep the cost down.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:22 PM

If your looking to go cheap and great sound get on ebay and buy a muffler. i bought my 40 series flowmaster for $50 with shipping included. and just dumped it for a total cost of about $65 (a couple clamps and a bracket)
Old 08-04-2010, 08:23 PM

I'll try, taking the muffler out, and replacing it for a pipe, to see how i like it. Then i can make my way from there.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by mbeamer60
If your looking to go cheap and great sound get on ebay and buy a muffler. i bought my 40 series flowmaster for $50 with shipping included. and just dumped it for a total cost of about $65 (a couple clamps and a bracket)
For me add $60 for shipping from USA to Dominican Republic, that's what i want to avoid.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Straight Pipes, how to??