Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1999 Possible faulty Pat anti-theft cheapest route?

Old 06-27-2010, 09:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Possible faulty Pat anti-theft cheapest route?

To start its a 99 f150v6. I've been reading on my issue for about a week and it seems to me that its the pats anti-theft system..

What happens is most of the time it starts right up. The security light will blink and I then know it will start. When it doesn't start the security light stays on about 5 seconds when ignition is in the on position. From what I've read that means there is a possible issue with the module.

I have a few questions on this. Is the module located in the kick panel on the driver side? I pulled it off and noticed 2 sets of wires going to what looks like maybe 2 modules or connectors.

It was suggested to me to put a multimeter on one of my keys and determine the resistance and wire a resistor directly in the correct wire. Would that be the cheapest and most efficient route to take? I don't know how much the actual module is, but I don't have a lot of money to throw at this problem at the moment. I found a small diagram on the security system on this truck and I guess this would be the wire to work with?
Factory Alarm Disarm Wire (-): Dark Green/Purple
Factory Alarm Disarm Wire Location: Driver’s Kick Panel
If the previously suggested route wouldn't work or be best I was also suggested a aftermarket system be put in to bypass it. Like I said before I don't have money to throw at this so I want to avoid spending as much as possible.
http://www.modifiedlife.com/1999-for...iring-diagram/
Basically any suggestions as to a cheap fix to this would be GREATLY appreciated!! I did a quick search on these forums for my same issue and couldn't find any new info and this seems to be a common problem.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:02 AM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I honestly don't know how you'd bypass it... from what I understand the PATS system also runs through the cluster, you can't put in a new cluster without having the dealer VIN match it to your vehicle. There's lots of elements to the system... I'm curious as to if you can get around it at all

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1999 Possible faulty Pat anti-theft cheapest route?