Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

4x4 high dash light

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 4x4 high dash light

Just bought a 2006 and noticed today when trying out the 4wd that the 4x4 high light does not come on. It is a manual floor stick operated transfer case. The light will sometimes "blink" while shifting but does not stay lit. It appeared to engage 4wd when put in 4H by my simple "it spins the back tires in the grass on a hill until the stick is engaged to 4H and then it doesn't spin the back tires and climbs the hill method". When put into 4L the indicator light for that works fine. I have read on here about sticking engagement motors on the tranfser case but my manual case doesn't have one of those selonoid motors to do the rubber mallet trick on. Any sugestions on what is wrong and how to fix this is appriciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 10-17-2010, 11:55 PM

Default another link

See if this guys problem is similar:

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/question...d-out-solenoid

My light doesn't come on, but the 4x4 works. Vacuum system fixed and all.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:19 PM

I have same exact problem as vadave, any suggestions?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:10 AM
jaxwireman

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I think it is still a vacum solenoid to activate the motor on the transfer case. The solenoid is what says go to the ECU and engages TC Motor and tells the indicator light to come on. Mine is not floor shift, however it did the same thing, changed solenoid on firewall and fixed. I dont think you can buy a true manual shift in a f-150 at all after 04 if not before.

If locking in 4x4, you can tell just by driving as the turns want be as tight or put it in some dirt and see if the front turns the tires spin when you give it some gas you will no the TC motor is working.

Last edited by sglover; 10-02-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:42 AM

Default Replace the firewall mounted vaccum switch

Replace the fire wall switch behind the battery. That will fix the problem. Check to see if your axles are turning all the time right now. I have a feeling they are. Bad design by ford uses vaccum to dis engage the hubs. When it looses vaccum the hubs are engaged. Some trucks like mine that were never put in 4x4 mode may have had to hubs engaged for a long time. Let me know what you find out.
Dave
Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hubs are still vacuum and if my memory serves me right they are actually what turns the 4wd light on, not the t-case being shifted into 4wd. So if the hubs aren't engaging the light won't come on

Quick Reply: 4x4 high dash light