Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob stopped working. HELP?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 03:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Key Fob stopped working. HELP?

Yesterday morning when i got out of my truck to go to work i pushed the lock button twice to get the honk, but it honked twice as if a door was not all the way closed but i knew that they were. So i pushed the lock button again and it did nothing, i tried lock, unlock, and panic button and nothing would work. Thought maybe the battery just died so put brand new battery in and still nothing, did something happen with the frequency changing or some security feature i do not know about? My other key fob works fine but the one does not work a all anymore even with a new battery.
Does anyone have an answer or know how to maybe reprogram the fob? I wanted to check here before dealing with the dealer if i can fix it myself.
thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 04:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Stupid question. Did the locks still work when pushing the buttons. I had an issue with my old Superduty not honking and the horn fluttering. At first I thought it was a bad fob. Turned out the wiring harness to the horn was jacked up.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by ductit
Stupid question. Did the locks still work when pushing the buttons. I had an issue with my old Superduty not honking and the horn fluttering. At first I thought it was a bad fob. Turned out the wiring harness to the horn was jacked up.
No nothing happens when i push any button on the key fob, does not lock, unlock, no lights come on, no horn nothing. The weird thing i thought was that the horn honked twice last time it worked and immediately after that it stopped working at all.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If your extra key fob works fine, then it's likely a malfunction with your original. You'll likely have to replace it.

I had the same experience with my previous car, and it was a bad key fob.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by 98_XC
If your extra key fob works fine, then it's likely a malfunction with your original. You'll likely have to replace it.

I had the same experience with my previous car, and it was a bad key fob.
hmm it worked 4 months tho just perfectly.Ill get ahold of the dealer tomorrow and see what they can do.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:37 PM

Well i made an appointment with the dealer and took it there yesterday. As i was walking into the shop jsut for kicks i tried the non working fob once more and out of nowhere it worked. So i tried it like 20 more times and both fob are working perfectly now. I dunno why and the service guys couldnt explain it either. but they did say that if u ever change the battery in the remotes i have to bring the truck to them to reprogram the key fob or it will not work, this was bs obviously cuz i switched batteries between fobs back and forth and the one always worked everytime so anyways in the end my truck fixed itself.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A story of a guy had the same issue with his and the dealer said that a new thing that thieves are doing is using a freq box to record you hitting your lock button and it records the same freq, disabling your FOB. WEATHER THIS IS TRUE OR NOT I DON'T KNOW. I'm just passing a story, take it how you'd like it.

I will say that my Key Pad on the door has gone on the fritz once and I couldn't use it for a day and somebody told me that it was maybe somebody trying to get in and using the wrong code too many times.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:28 PM

Received 1,523 Likes on 1,203 Posts

Weird, glad it is working now.

The device is called a code grabber, thieves will use it to "grab" the frequency of your fob and then reuse it to get in your vehichle. These were used awhile back, not sure if they are in use though.
Old 11-21-2017, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have issues with both mine. Just stopped working. Poked around in both of them and the only issue I found is the battery must be perfectly set. On mine there loose. Not sure if they are supposed to have a gasket. There is a small tab keeping it just the rightplacein for the corner contact. I just made it tight to tab and using an O-ring, cutting it in half to fill the gap. Battery was very tight on contacts, and has been working since. Was kinda winded but I hope that
Old 11-21-2017, 07:09 AM
USCG MKC

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Strainjah1955
I have issues with both mine. Just stopped working. Poked around in both of them and the only issue I found is the battery must be perfectly set. On mine there loose. Not sure if they are supposed to have a gasket. There is a small tab keeping it just the rightplacein for the corner contact. I just made it tight to tab and using an O-ring, cutting it in half to fill the gap. Battery was very tight on contacts, and has been working since. Was kinda winded but I hope that

Can you post pics of what you did? Your issue sounds like mine. I will go to unlock or lock my truck and nothing, tap the key against my other hand or my leg and it works again. Very annoying.

Quick Reply: Key Fob stopped working. HELP?