Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

1999 F-150 Starter Replacement help! Need info!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 F-150 Starter Replacement help! Need info!

Hello everybody. I am new to the board here because I actually don't own a ford. I am somewhat mechanically inclined and have done extensive work on my Subaru STi and a Mitsu Evo.

Long story short is that I have friend who is going through really tough times due to the economy and his F-150 has been sitting in his driveway not running for a year now because the starter is shot. At this point he really needs his truck fixed. I know that it is a 1999 F-150 but am not sure of what motor he has (do they all use the same starter?).

Unfortunately I hadn't talked to him for a while and I didn't know his situation until his wife told me everything.

Well, I want to go about fixing this for him because he simply can't swing it to take it to somebody to get it running again.

What I need to know is where I can buy the starter for the cheapest price (like I said I don't know Fords so am unsure of where to buy parts at the best price). If somebody could hook me up with the part number and a good website where I could pick it up that would be great. A rebuilt part would also be suitable.

Also, what tools do I need to replace the starter. He does not have tools so I would be taking my tools to his house to get this done. It would help if I could get the wrench and socket sizes I might need as well as any special tools.

If anybody has a link to a walkthrough that would be great!

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:14 AM
cms67

Go to a junk yard and get a used one and then go get yourself a Chiltons manual. I don't mean to sound so sarcastic but if you can't change a simple starter without instructions, you don't need to do it.

Last edited by cms67; 03-07-2010 at 02:19 AM. Reason: edit
Old 03-07-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try O'reilly's or Autozone. Not being sure what you need in a junkyard, might be a mistake. Search the post for starter replacement in this forum. The starter only has 3 bolts to remove, One of them is hidden on the front side of the starter, up above the solenoid.

Hope this might help!
Old 03-07-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dirtbuster1
I would try O'reilly's or Autozone. Not being sure what you need in a junkyard, might be a mistake. Search the post for starter replacement in this forum. The starter only has 3 bolts to remove, One of them is hidden on the front side of the starter, up above the solenoid.

Hope this might help!
This helps a lot! Very easy!
Old 03-07-2010, 12:04 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by cms67
Go to a junk yard and get a used one and then go get yourself a Chiltons manual. I don't mean to sound so sarcastic but if you can't change a simple starter without instructions, you don't need to do it.
Wow, sorry for never working on a Ford before. Didn't think a starter would be hard but like the other post said its 3 bolts. I just wanted to know what I was getting into before I started and what tools I needed to take with me. Didn't want to spend $30 on a manual to fix my friend's truck on the cheap.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:33 AM
LCDR USN (RET)

Starter can be a bitch to remove and put back on...one piece of advice: take the right fromt wheel off.....then get a couple of extra long extentions to put on a rachet...easier to remove and install that one bolt from way up there, near the upper arm than from down below....

Quick Reply: 1999 F-150 Starter Replacement help! Need info!