Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Anyone replace thier heated seat elements?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone replace thier heated seat elements?

G’day, I have a 02 Supercrew Lariat with power and heated leather seats. The heated portion on the driver side doesn’t work. I swapped the heated seat switch and module from the working passenger side and it still doesn’t work. It would appear that issue lies within the elements themselves. I was wondering if anyone has actually removed the old elements and installed new ones in their truck? Do the elements plug into a plug or do they need soldering? Is it a tough job to get the elements? Any info or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Spiff
Old 02-17-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

Check the fuses? Ohm it out, it will tell you if there is a break or not.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:23 PM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know the answer but I'll give a free bumpage for a awesome name. lol
Old 02-20-2010, 02:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just replaced a heated seat cushion element in my 03 supercrew.
You need to ohm out both elements to figure out if it's the cushion element or the back element, they are wired in series so if one gets a break, neither will work.
You can get a wiring diagram from autozone.com.
Just remove the seat from the truck, remove the cover, and replace the bad element (they are a plug in unit).
You will need a set of hog ring pliers and four hog rings to reinstall the seat cushion cover.
The hardest part was for the life of me, I couldn't figure out how to remove the lumbar support ****, made it a bitch to get the cover back far enough
with that **** still on it.
You will need a t50 torx plus socket (not a regular t50 torx) to remove the seat bolts. The element was about $30.

Last edited by hotrozz; 02-20-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:00 PM

Thanks for link and info. We'll try to tackle it next week. I gotta see if I can add 12 volts directly to the elements to see if the heat up.

Spiff
Old 02-21-2010, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
Thanks for link and info. We'll try to tackle it next week. I gotta see if I can add 12 volts directly to the elements to see if the heat up.

Spiff
If you have a VOM, it's easier to just ohm out each element to find the bad one than it is to run 12v to it.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:36 AM

Hey I have a 2001 King Ranch and my drivers side seat will not heat up either. Do you have a light that comes on when you push the button for heated seats? The reason I ask is b/c my light wont even come on when i push it in. The switch is good I checked it on the passenger side and it works great, also check the fuse and it is good. Could it be a grounding issue or would the heating elements going bad cause the light for the button to not come on?
Old 12-19-2010, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by x1kyle26
Hey I have a 2001 King Ranch and my drivers side seat will not heat up either. Do you have a light that comes on when you push the button for heated seats? The reason I ask is b/c my light wont even come on when i push it in. The switch is good I checked it on the passenger side and it works great, also check the fuse and it is good. Could it be a grounding issue or would the heating elements going bad cause the light for the button to not come on?
IIRC, when one of the elements went out the switch light still worked. Is it the seat back, seat cushion, or both that don't heat up?
Old 12-19-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by hotrozz
IIRC, when one of the elements went out the switch light still worked. Is it the seat back, seat cushion, or both that don't heat up?

What does IIRC mean? and the light for the button will not even come on nor will the seat heat up. Where all should I have check to make sure everything is plugged in?
Old 12-23-2010, 01:16 AM

Can anyone tell me where to find the heating element for my 2001 King Ranch.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Anyone replace thier heated seat elements?