Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Windshield Washer

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Windshield Washer

I've got a 2004 F150 Super Crew FX4.

I hit the windshield washers a few weeks ago and the spray couldn't even make it to the windshield. The tank is full of fluid and the pump is humming pretty good.

I drained the tank and noticed the bottom of the tank is full of little black rubber shavings. I assume the seal that holds the pump in the bottom of the tank is deteriorating. I took the pump off and cleaned it out, flushed out the tank, put it all back together but still no fluid is making through the spray nozzles.

My guess is that the hose from the pump to the nozzles are clogged with the rubber shavings or the nozzles are clogged.

Has anybody run into this? Any ideas on how to clear out the nozzles or hose?
Old 02-13-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got the same problem...
Old 02-13-2010, 07:31 PM
2020 Sport

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I disconnected mine from the tank/pump on one end then disconnected the hose from the nozzle sprayers on the other end and put a air compressor and blew them out. That fixed my issue.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Fords For Life

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ Yeah as he said I would clean out the tank and pump as you did and then blow out the actual lines themselves. If you do not have access to an air compressor and nozzle hit up your local True Value, Home Depot, or Autozone and buy some new hose. Cant be too expensive my guess is a couple bucks for a few feet!!
Old 02-13-2010, 08:14 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

You'll most likely need to clear out the nozzles. As already suggested by XPerties, try the compressed air. Be real carfull in inserting any needles, pins, or small wire to clean the nozzles out, as you can enlarge the holes too much to the point that they will not spray a decent stream of water to the windshield.

I bought replacement cowl covers about a year ago, and they came with new squirter nozzles. I removed the old ones from my old left/right cowl pieces to save.

If I can find them, I'l PM you to send them off to you. I'm just not sure where I put them.

Quick Reply: Windshield Washer