Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Hidden gauges built into cluster

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hidden gauges built into cluster

Ok, so I'm not sure if alot of people know this, but I just found out about it and thought it was pretty neat.

I found out that you can put your 99 and up gauge cluster into a "test" mode. This allows you to read alot of statistics about the truck in digital form. It offers info such as a tach, speedo (MPH and KPH); I think. Fuel flow and it also spikes all the gauges, and illuminates all the warning lights. It also shows alot of other info that I have yet to decipher, if anybody else knows, chime in!

Ok, to do this all you need to do is:

1) Hold trip reset while turning key on, without starting
2) When the screen reads "test" release the button
3) Start engine

You can now scroll through all of the info, it wont stop unless you turn the key off.

Heres a link to a demo in a Mustang
Old 01-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Just some dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just went out and checked it out on my 02 and it worked just like in the vid. That's a cool find. Thanks for sharing
Old 01-02-2010, 12:27 AM

No problem, when I saw it I thought it was pretty cool too!
Old 01-02-2010, 01:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

saw it posted on fordtruckworld a few years back, but had actually forgotten about it til now. glad you found it. i was able to find out how many miles per hour i was off on the speedo by comparing with the digital speed. ill try to find the site with all the info on it because im like you, dont know what a lot of that other info is
Old 01-02-2010, 01:54 AM

Cool, hope you find the site. It would definitely be nice to know what everything means.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:54 AM
^ drinks KC Tea

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

thats badass!
Old 01-02-2010, 02:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

found it

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/News/99hec.htm
Old 01-02-2010, 03:13 AM

Sweet! I bookmarked it so I can always go back to it if I want. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by kookookachew
Ok, so I'm not sure if alot of people know this, but I just found out about it and thought it was pretty neat.

I found out that you can put your 99 and up gauge cluster into a "test" mode. This allows you to read alot of statistics about the truck in digital form. It offers info such as a tach, speedo (MPH and KPH); I think. Fuel flow and it also spikes all the gauges, and illuminates all the warning lights. It also shows alot of other info that I have yet to decipher, if anybody else knows, chime in!

Ok, to do this all you need to do is:

1) Hold trip reset while turning key on, without starting
2) When the screen reads "test" release the button
3) Start engine

You can now scroll through all of the info, it wont stop unless you turn the key off.

Heres a link to a demo in a Mustang
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj6XlYywcZE
I can't wait to try mine. I wonder what other procedures are "hidden".
Old 01-02-2010, 04:57 PM

Here is what those codes mean. This prodecure is used to diagnose the cluster.

To enter the HEC ( Hybrid Electronic Cluster) Dealer Test Mode, depress and hold the instrument cluster SELECT/RESET button and then turn the ignition switch to the RUN position. Continue pressing the SELECT/RESET button (five seconds) until tESt is displayed in the odometer. The SELECT/RESET button must be released within three seconds of the odometer displaying tESt to begin the dealer test mode. Depress the SELECT/RESET button to advance through the following steps until dtc is displayed. Depressing the SELECT/RESET button will display any continuous DTCs stored before proceeding to the next step.

Odometer Display Description

GAGE : Activates gauge sweep of all gauges, then displays present gauge values. Also carries out the checksum tests on ROM and EE. If the gauge sweep is inoperative, INSTALL a new instrument cluster; REFER to Instrument Cluster .

All segments illuminated : Illuminates all odometer segments. If any odometer segment is inoperative, INSTALL a new instrument cluster; REFER to Instrument Cluster .

bulb : Illuminates all micro-controlled lamps and LEDs (low oil pressure/high coolant temperature, low fuel, service engine soon, brake, low range). INSTALL a new bulb or LED as necessary.

r : Returns to normal operation of all micro-controlled lamps and LEDs and displays hexadecimal value for ROM level (used when requesting assistance from the hotline). If alternating flashes of FAIL and ROM level are displayed, INSTALL a new instrument cluster; refer to Instrument Cluster .

EE : Displays hexadecimal value for EE level (used when requesting assistance from the hotline). If alternating flashes of FAIL and EE level are displayed, INSTALL a new instrument cluster; refer to Instrument Cluster .

dt : Displays hexadecimal coding of final manufacturing test date (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).
dtc : Displays continuous DTCs. Pressing the SELECT/RESET button will display any DTCs stored before proceeding to the next step.

enG : Displays the English speed in mph. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input is not received, if input received is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0.

m : Displays the English speed data (mph) received from the PCM via the SCP network. Displays the metric speed in kph. Speedometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input is not received, if input received is invalid for one second or more, or if speed is 0.

tAc : Displays the tachometer data received from the PCM via the SCP network. Tachometer will indicate present speed within tolerances. Display will show 0 if input is not received, if input received is invalid for one second or more, or if engine rpm is 0.

FUEL : Displays the actual A/D fuel level. The fuel gauge will display a filtered fuel level value. This filter will keep the pointer from moving suddenly or erratically. If the value displayed is between 0 and 20, the circuit is shorted. GO to Pinpoint Test D .
255=open send +/-0
232=Full stop +/-10
215=Full mark +/-10
178=3/4 mark +/-8
138=1/2 mark +/-7
93=1/4 mark +/-5
41=E mark +/-4
54="LOW FUEL" (0-59)
0-18=short (0-20 max.)

OIL : Displays the code (0-255) for the oil pressure switch input to the HEC. Displays the oil pressure reading input to the HEC. Oil pressure gauge will indicate present oil pressure. Normal oil pressure (greater than 6 psi) will display a value between 000 and 176. A low oil pressure (less than 6 psi) or an inoperative engine oil pressure switch will display a value greater than 176.

dEGC : Display of engine temperature in Degrees C input from cylinder head temperature sensor. If the value displayed is -40C, the SCP message for engine temperature has not been received for more than 5 seconds. GO to Pinpoint Test E .
49 C="C" mark.
60 C=Normal band start.
120 C=Normal band end.
119 C=Temperature warning indicator ON.
"-40" C=No SCP Message for 5 sec.

br : Displays the brake fluid level input to the HEC.

bAtt : Displays the code (0-255) battery voltage input to the HEC. Battery voltage gauge will indicate present battery voltage.
93-102=6.9-9.1 volts (Low voltage)
115-124=8.5-10.7 volts (Norm band start)
215-225=15.8-18 volts (Norm band end)
230-241=16.9-19.1 volts (High voltage)

rhEo : Displays the present hexadecimal value for the instrument cluster backlighting pulse width modulated (PWM) input to the HEC (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).

rhi
rhS
rho : PWM input duty cycle.

SCP hexadecimal dimming step (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).
Output driver counts in hexadecimal format (used when requesting assistance from the hotline).

Cr : Displays the present RUN/START sense input. Display will show -L with the ignition switch in the START position and -h with the ignition switch in the RUN position.

ALtF a : Displays 8-bit hexadecimal value for alternate fuel level. Display will show a value between OO and FF if the message is received.

PA-PE7 : Not used.

GAGE : Repeats test display cycle.

a : Refer to 413-01B (F250 only).

Turn the ignition switch to the OFF position or press and hold the SELECT/RESET button for three or more seconds and release to exit HEC Dealer Test Mode. If no DTCs related to the concern are retrieved, proceed to the Symptom Chart to continue diagnostics. __________________

Quick Reply: Hidden gauges built into cluster