Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

can you adjust rack and pinion backlash?

Old 12-27-2009, 09:10 PM

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

Default can you adjust rack and pinion backlash?

06 150 supercrew 4x4

hi all, after replacing my ball joints and tie rod ends, i noticed that i have a bit of play in my rack and pinion. if i remove the driver side innner tie rod, i can see that the play is inside the rack and pinion where the input vetricle shaft meshes with the horizontal output shaft. is there any way to adjust the backlash between these 2 shafts?

now that the tie rod ends and ball joints are new, everything else feels good, but just wanted to see if i can make it better.

thanks in advance !

Last edited by mattd17; 12-28-2009 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:44 AM
Munoz2105

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same problem. Replaced all my ball joints and tie rods but have the same play inside the rack. There is an adjustment screw on the left bottom side of the rack. It has a black plastic dust cap. I have tried to remove the dust cap but i have not been able to remove it. There is no way to get a grip on it. I tried a screwdriver but started to come apart. Has anyone removed the dust cap and how?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2012, 10:10 PM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Rack & Pinion

Originally Posted by munoz2105
I have the exact same problem. Replaced all my ball joints and tie rods but have the same play inside the rack. There is an adjustment screw on the left bottom side of the rack. It has a black plastic dust cap. I have tried to remove the dust cap but i have not been able to remove it. There is no way to get a grip on it. I tried a screwdriver but started to come apart. Has anyone removed the dust cap and how?

Thanks
Were either of you guys able to repair your own rack & pinion? I purchased a rebuild kit that consists only of seals, but there were no instructions. Just wondering which repair manual would be better, or if either Haynes or Chiltons repair manuals would give a breakdown of the R&P.

Thanks
Calvin

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can you adjust rack and pinion backlash?