Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing Bed Rail Caps

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Bed Rail Caps

Recently bought the side rail kit for the cargo management system, and I have to remove the bed rails to attach from the top.

Does anyone know if the rail caps just pry off? I was able to pinch the plastic snaps from below the caps to partly release them, but the rest seem attached pretty darn tight, and I dont want to break anything. Any help is appreciated?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:15 PM

I am wondering this as well, I was trying to take mine off tonight and it appears as if there is a clip above the tail light i am not sure if you have to take the tail light out to release this clip or if you just pry it off? hopefully someone can tell us for sure.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:26 PM
Just another member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kar298
I am wondering this as well, I was trying to take mine off tonight and it appears as if there is a clip above the tail light i am not sure if you have to take the tail light out to release this clip or if you just pry it off? hopefully someone can tell us for sure.
I don't know, but here is a shot of tail-light removed if this helps.:
Attached Images  
Old 12-20-2009, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by kar298
I noticed the same thing near the tailgate as well. Looking at johnwill's picture, it appears that there is not enough of an opening to release anything from underneath.

I was doing some searches last night and found someone who had released the rails from an older MY F150 using a special Ford trim tool. I know these exist, so if I can't figure anything else out, I will see if I can locate one.
Old 12-20-2009, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tleast
Recently bought the side rail kit for the cargo management system, and I have to remove the bed rails to attach from the top.

Does anyone know if the rail caps just pry off? I was able to pinch the plastic snaps from below the caps to partly release them, but the rest seem attached pretty darn tight, and I dont want to break anything. Any help is appreciated?

Thanks in advance.

I had to remove mine also to put the cargo system in.

First off......Make sure it is warm if not hot outside.
If not, put it somewhere that is otherwise you WILL break them.

I was VERY lucky that mine came off well.

They are hard to pry up. I used a wide screwdriver and a small flat pry bar to get them up. I used a pair of angled needle nose pliers to squeeze the clips and push up from below on the ones that I could get to.

The main thing is to watch as you are pulling them off that you don't see a lot of distortion in the plastic. If it starts to distort to bad or change color, try from another angle if possible.

Once you start to get it off, it will get easier. You can squeeze the clips together a bit as you pry it up.

Good luck and I hope yours goes as well as mine.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by DoubleD
I had to remove mine also to put the cargo system in.

First off......Make sure it is warm if not hot outside.
If not, put it somewhere that is otherwise you WILL break them.

I was VERY lucky that mine came off well.

They are hard to pry up. I used a wide screwdriver and a small flat pry bar to get them up. I used a pair of angled needle nose pliers to squeeze the clips and push up from below on the ones that I could get to.

The main thing is to watch as you are pulling them off that you don't see a lot of distortion in the plastic. If it starts to distort to bad or change color, try from another angle if possible.

Once you start to get it off, it will get easier. You can squeeze the clips together a bit as you pry it up.

Good luck and I hope yours goes as well as mine.
Ok, so its held entirely by clips. Are all of the clips the same throughout? or are the clips that are not accessible from underneath the bed rail differently?

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tleast
Ok, so its held entirely by clips. Are all of the clips the same throughout? or are the clips that are not accessible from underneath the bed rail differently?

Thanks for the help.
It was 3 months back when I did mine but as I remember, they are all the same type clip. The clip is an integral part of the rail cap itself.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The clips will break off fairly easily. I got hit in the back by a deer, and the body shop had to order a new cap because they broke 2 of the clips on removal. My insurance didn't get charged for the cap, but they said the clips will break easily.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:44 PM

Tleast. I've been thinking of adding the CMS as well but also share your worry about damaging the bed rail caps when removing them. I'm was thinking about go do my dealers body shop and paying them to remove them, that way if anything goes wrong it is their fault. However, I have no idea how much that might cost so I may end up doing it myself. Please post some pics of the install when you get it completed. Thanks
Old 12-22-2009, 12:47 AM

Here are a few photos I took of mine when I did it a few months back. This was before I added the Bakflip cover.
Attached Thumbnails Removing Bed Rail Caps-1.jpg   Removing Bed Rail Caps-2.jpg   Removing Bed Rail Caps-3.jpg   Removing Bed Rail Caps-4.jpg  

Quick Reply: Removing Bed Rail Caps