Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Wont go into gear

Old 11-25-2009, 09:30 PM
Fordmaniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wont go into gear

i know this a f150 forum but i kinda needing help with my moms car it's a Ford Crown Vic police interceptor and the problem i'm having is the car won't come out of park when it's started but when it's turned off you can get it out of park i'm just looking for some info maybe someone can help me i first thought it was the links but i'm not sure an ideas?
Old 11-26-2009, 07:03 AM
crush a little car today

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check the fuses and if there's a relay involved swap it for another to see if that's it. Check the GEM module also.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the newer auto's have a "brake switch" that won't let it come outta park without the brake petal depressed. Maybe that switch is bad. It may run on the same switch as the brake lights, not sure though........I had a switch go bad on a truck I worked on at a shop a few years back and it wouldn't come outta park. That "lock" is a safety feature to keep it from being put into reverse or drive without the foot on the brake when the engine is running.....it's a possibility anyway. My wife's Hyundai actually has a "shift lock release" button on the console in case the switch malfuntions. Not all of them have it though. The reason it may go into gear with the car off is it doesnt pose a danger without the engine running.........just rambling here, throwing out ideas

Have a good Thanksgiving
Old 11-26-2009, 10:28 AM
I Voted For Bill and Opus

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes the Brake interlock switch I'll bet that is what it is I had this problem on a 1978 Mercury Cougar. What often happens is the switch which is mounted at the top of the brake petal gets loose and out of position so much of the time all that is needed is to reposition it and tighten the bolt down. Below is a picture of what one version of the switch looks like Ford used several but this will give you an idea of what to look for. If the switch is bad Autozone has them for just short of 16 bucks each.
Attached Images  

Last edited by transmaster; 11-26-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wont go into gear