Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

rusted bolts and exhaust leak at manifold

Old 10-19-2009, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default rusted bolts and exhaust leak at manifold

I have an '06 lariet with 41,000miles and have a leak where the manifold meets the head on the passenger side. The muffler place in town says they see a big problem with the bolts rusting and wont touch it cause they can break then have to take off the head to fix it, which can be $1400 for the one side. Its so close outside of warrenty I was wondering if others have heard of this problem. I don't really want to spend that money if its a know problem from Ford and if thats the reason there is a leak.

Anyone ran across this issue or have any insight on this problem?

Thanks,
Rocketrn25
Old 10-19-2009, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've taken many exhaust manifolds off engines over the years. The trick is an oxygen/ acetylene torch. Propane or Map gas is not hot enough. All you do is heat the nut red hot and wind it off. I can't ever remember having had them break the stud off.

As for taking the head off I think I'd look for someone else to do the job.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this problem on a 2000 f150 with a 5.4. I had three of the studs that hold the exhaust manifold break off(a common problem on these engines) I took the wheel and plastic fender well off to access the side of the engine. Soaked nuts in pb blast several times. Took manifold off. Luckily in my case there were enough threads left on all the broken studs to thread on two nuts and back the studs out with a wrench. Hope this helps. Good luck
Old 10-20-2009, 11:22 AM
F-150 Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At the moment that i'm writing on this tread, my truck is in the shop for the manifold leak. The mechanics just called me couple minutes ago and said that he had the right side removed and the gasket was broke, that's where the leak was coming from. I'm changing manifold for headers and he told me that now he have to lift the moto a little bit to be able to pass the right header because it's bigger than the manifold. It's hell of a job !! Waiting to see the bill !!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rusted bolts and exhaust leak at manifold