Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Brakes on 2005 f-150 4x4

Old 10-12-2009, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes on 2005 f-150 4x4

I'm wanting to do the brakes on my ford f-150 2005 4x4 front and back can someone give me a full detailed step by step process to do this so i don't mess anything up.
Thanks alot.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:38 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

look in the how to section someone just put a write up on how to do it in there
Old 10-12-2009, 07:07 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by acasey1433
I'm wanting to do the brakes on my ford f-150 2005 4x4 front and back can someone give me a full detailed step by step process to do this so i don't mess anything up.
Thanks alot.
Are you kidding?!? Don't take this the wrong way, but buy yourself a book! For about $25.00, you can get a Haynes repair manual at your local auto store; it will provide you with the step by step proceedures and pictures too.

I certainly don't have the time to type a couple of pages worth of instructions on how to change the front and rear pads on your truck.

The $25.00 you should spend will also provide you with other repairs you can do on the truck as well.
Old 10-12-2009, 07:35 AM

Default f

bucko you don't need to be an @$$ about it. i'm a woman and with a tight budget.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:12 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

bucko you don't need to be an @$$ about it. i'm a woman and with a tight budget.
well he has a point, brakes are pretty simple, if youve done one disk brake job you can do just about any others, the book is to help with the stuff that only aplies to f150's, but if this is the first time youve ever done brakes i highly recomend the book has pictures and what not, if someone has done brakes before im gonna say you could get by changing the brakes without a book
Old 10-12-2009, 10:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may have issues do you have a "C" Clamp? Brake rotors are expensive for these trucks, pads are ok
Old 10-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

It does not matter if you're a woman or not. I appretiate your willingness to learn and do the work yourself, but to expect someone to write a lengthy proceedure on how to do a brake job (front and rear) is asking a bit much. There is a cheap way to do it, and a "correct" way. I'll assume you'd want the correct and safe way in doing it; and without some pictures, it could be confusing to describe with just words.

Realizing we are all on a budget these days and looking for help is a valid point. If you cannot afford to buy the repair manual, then chances are you may not have all the tools either. Check out a local car club in your area. The folks in these clubs are usually more than willing to help a fellow car buff out.

Christmas is coming. A good stocking stuffer request would be to ask for a repair manual.

For the record, there are 4 "basic" steps for removal of the front brake pads, and 3 steps to install. This is from the Ford workshop manual, used by Ford certified mechanics. If I listed the steps, I'd bet you would still have questions, which is why I said you should buy a Haynes type repair manual. The Haynes manual I have has a dedicated chapter (chapter 9) with 3 and a half pages of text and pictures for the pads, and another 4 pages to remove the calipers (required to get to the pads and inspect the pistons and seals to do a brake pad replacement right). The pictures are worth a thousand words.

I'll say I'm sorry that you took my response in such a matter to think I was being an "@$$" about this issue. But describing a brake inspection/replacement to someone that has not done the proceedure before is not something that could be easily written here in "detail". As another poster has provided (below), you can Google this subject and get general instructions, but I doubt they will provide all the details for a first timer install.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 10-12-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-12-2009, 04:38 PM

acasey1433... try this. It may help. http://www.aa1car.com/library/brakefix.htm
Joe
Old 10-12-2009, 07:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bucko
It does not matter if you're a woman or not. I appretiate your willingness to learn and do the work yourself, but to expect someone to write a lengthy proceedure on how to do a brake job (front and rear) is asking a bit much. There is a cheap way to do it, and a "correct" way. I'll assume you'd want the correct and safe way in doing it; and without some pictures, it could be confusing to describe with just words.

Realizing we are all on a budget these days and looking for help is a valid point. If you cannot afford to buy the repair manual, then chances are you may not have all the tools either. Check out a local car club in your area. The folks in these clubs are usually more than willing to help a fellow car buff out.

Christmas is coming. A good stocking stuffer request would be to ask for a repair manual.

For the record, there are 4 "basic" steps for removal of the front brake pads, and 3 steps to install. This is from the Ford workshop manual, used by Ford certified mechanics. If I listed the steps, I'd bet you would still have questions, which is why I said you should buy a Haynes type repair manual. The Haynes manual I have has a dedicated chapter (chapter 9) with 3 and a half pages of text and pictures for the pads, and another 4 pages to remove the calipers (required to get to the pads and inspect the pistons and seals to do a brake pad replacement right). The pictures are worth a thousand words.

I'll say I'm sorry that you took my response in such a matter to think I was being an "@$$" about this issue. But describing a brake inspection/replacement to someone that has not done the proceedure before is not something that could be easily written here in "detail". As another poster has provided (below), you can Google this subject and get general instructions, but I doubt they will provide all the details for a first timer install.
^^^X2

Could not have said it better...
Old 10-13-2009, 10:02 AM

First off:

who gives a $#!^ if you are female, male, neither, black, white, purple, gay, strait, both, or you'd rather sheep, it makes no difference, I’ve been on here for a couple of months and I have not seen ONE biased answer due to sex, creed, race, sexual orientation, or which animal you prefer to fornicate with. All we see is an off-white background with black letters that form words. If the Pope, Gandhi, Richard Simons, Michelle Obama or anyone else asked this question they would be getting the same response, and I’m sure people have, use the search function I'm sure you will find some threads with the same type of responses.

Second:

If your budget is too tight to get a manual for $25 how are you going to be able to afford close to $400 in brake parts, assuming you don’t need calipers, witch is another $90-$150 a piece. Oh and did I mention tools? Even if you rent tools, it costs money.

Third:

It’s pretty rotten to get onto a forum and basically demand that someone give you a step by step process of how to do a rather lengthy repair that many people would have a hard time teaching someone how to do if they were standing right next to them. This is not an easy process if you have never done it before, even if you had someone standing right next to you walking you through the whole thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brakes on 2005 f-150 4x4