Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Rust

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust

Looks like I have some rust on my "new" 1994 XL. I'm sure most of the older Northern F150s do too.

There are a couple spots that concern me:
1) Up front where the frame mounts to the brace right above the front bumper, via 2 rubber bushings. This is the same brace that the radiator sits on. The bushing mounts are nearly gone on the brace side. The frame side looks ok. So what happens when they go completely? How do I fix it (I can mig weld, but it looks next to impossible to get in there).
2) Noticed a completely rusted fuel line - to the point where there was a hole straight through. It's just that one line - there are others in there that look clean/new. I've had no trouble using the front tank, so I'm assuming that dead line is to the rear tank.
3) Noticed some rust on the rear brake lines where they mount to the rear-axle. There's rust on the lines for about an inch surrounding the mounting points.

Anyone dealt with any of these problems before? Suggestions as to how to prevent this from getting worse? The truck runs/drives/stops just fine right now. I'd like to keep it that way.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:10 PM

if you cant replace it urself, might try a shop but there prices will be outrage's or you can just get the whole new part off of LMCtruck.com
Old 10-25-2007, 07:30 PM
kweezy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problems with rust that you had and i've found the best way to fix that is with some black spray paint. Makes it look as good as new... literally.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:19 PM

Yeah... Ok, but I'm not looking for merely a cosmetic fix. The rust on the radiator support needs to actually be repaired since once that bushing mount fails, that body piece might drop a little and sit right on the frame, instead of having bushings inbetween. Furthermore, the fuel line and brake line rust will kill functionality of those systems eventually (well, fuel line is already toast). The truck needs fuel and it needs to be able to stop.

I was thinking a hefty dose of POR-15 for the entire frame and any of the other rust spots. For those who don't know, POR-15 is a nice rust-inhibiting compound/paint which will completely arrest rust, and can even cure in humid environments. I believe it was initially formulated for marine applications. I've used it on a number of vehicles. Google it. It's not just paint.

The radiator support up front I'll probably completely replace. partstrain.com has a new one for $165. I'll try the junkyard first, though. But spray paint certainly would NOT cut it.

Quick Reply: Rust