Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sync, Navigation, and Jukebox

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sync, Navigation, and Jukebox

I am considering buying the FX4, and the only decision left is the Navigation option.

Based on what I've read, the Jukebox option leaves alot to be desired. I'm not very anxious or interested in ripping my entire music collection to CD's and then copying them to the Jukebox. That would take a huge amount of time.

So, I am much more interested in plugging a small HD drive into the USB port in the console and using Sync. When using Sync to play music, do any of the controls or information appear on the Navigation screen? Can I only control using voice or can I see the songs and information on the Nav screen? I love using the Nav when I travel to new cities, but I usually fly, so I don't use the Nav in my truck very often (have it in my Escalade). If I don't see or control my music on the screen, maybe I don't need to spend the extra money.

Thanks,
Old 08-27-2009, 07:12 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Camens,

From what I remember, I really only tried a usb stick once so far, but I remember the song title/artist on the screen and buttons for play/pause/repeat/shuffle all on the navigation screen which you could touch at any time. I also remember a bunch of other options, but can't remember which ones right now..

Clint

Edit: Sorry for not reading this properly...You are talking about an external drive...not just a usb stick. As for that...I don't know your answer...sorry. It might work the same.

Last edited by c_perrone; 08-27-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:08 AM

The nav in your Escalade and the nav in the F150 are like day and night. My wife has a 08 CTS with the nav. The Ford nav is ALOT more user friendly and while it might be a pain to rip your collection and download to the jukebox (which is alot easier than the Cadillac hard drive), it is a breeze to use. Not to mention the backup camera is the size of the nav. It seems like alot of people on these boards go thru what your going thru on deciding which one to go with and the ones that did are glad, the ones that dident wish they had.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:33 AM
Empireman

Angry re: 2009 Nav System

Hello

I just bought the 2009 Platinum F150 with the Nav System.

I have been on the phone with the sync and Nav system people for many hours COMPLAINING on how inadequate the system is, especially the Nav and the sync. In my opintion - save your money! The sync does show the names of the songs as you asked, but the Nav system in no where near as a Garmin unit. On the Garmin - you can just say the name of the store or business you want to go - and it finds all the "matches". On the built in Nav system - you have to give it one of just a few ( maybe seven ) built in catagories such as "groceries" to get to your poi. If you POI is NOT under one of these catagories - your screwed! For instance - if you want to find your nearest Petco - there is no catagory that it would be listed under. It is a great looking unit - nice screen etc - BUT - it is good for simple things, like finding an ATM, Gas station etc. NOTE: If you want to get prices of gas and traffic updates - you must PAY an extra fee to SIRUS to get this! In this man's opinion - if you have an extra $2500 to fork out - go for it - for me - it has a lot of demons to work out and I'm thinking at this point it is a rip off. Also - the sync is a GREAT idea - but has MANY flaws. You can't just push a button and call out the name of a song like you see in the commercial. There are "steps" and if the system doesn't recognize the song name - it plays whatever it "thinks" you said and you have to start all over from the first step - VERY FRUSTRATING!
Old 08-28-2009, 09:17 AM

Empireman,
I think you must just need to familiarize yourself with the SYNC/Nav system some more. I used a Garmin Nuvi for the last several years and then opted to purchase my 2009 Lariat with the SYNC/Nav system. I have the Garmin in my wife's Expedition now and hate to use it after driving with the built in Nav. I have not experienced any problems with the unit. It does take some getting used to in order to learn how to work through the commands quickly and learn how to access different features but I have not heard of anyone else who has the system say that they would not purchase it if they had it to do over again. My Garmin would take me on a wild goose chase every once in a while but the Ford Nav has been spot on everytime I have used it to navigate.

You may want to see if there is an update available for your system based upon when your truck was built. Go to www.syncmyride.com and put in your info and see what it comes back with. I hope you learn to like the system as it is quite an expensive option but I feel it is worth it and I hate driving in my wife's Expy or in my work F150s that don't have it now.

SCScrew
Old 08-28-2009, 11:42 AM
Just another member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Do you know who makes the Ford Nav system, i.e. whose maps etc they use? NAVTEQ? Who runs the interface? Panasonic? Gracenote? I am not sure.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by empireman
Hello

I just bought the 2009 Platinum F150 with the Nav System.

I have been on the phone with the sync and Nav system people for many hours COMPLAINING on how inadequate the system is, especially the Nav and the sync. In my opintion - save your money! The sync does show the names of the songs as you asked, but the Nav system in no where near as a Garmin unit. On the Garmin - you can just say the name of the store or business you want to go - and it finds all the "matches". On the built in Nav system - you have to give it one of just a few ( maybe seven ) built in catagories such as "groceries" to get to your poi. If you POI is NOT under one of these catagories - your screwed! For instance - if you want to find your nearest Petco - there is no catagory that it would be listed under. It is a great looking unit - nice screen etc - BUT - it is good for simple things, like finding an ATM, Gas station etc. NOTE: If you want to get prices of gas and traffic updates - you must PAY an extra fee to SIRUS to get this! In this man's opinion - if you have an extra $2500 to fork out - go for it - for me - it has a lot of demons to work out and I'm thinking at this point it is a rip off. Also - the sync is a GREAT idea - but has MANY flaws. You can't just push a button and call out the name of a song like you see in the commercial. There are "steps" and if the system doesn't recognize the song name - it plays whatever it "thinks" you said and you have to start all over from the first step - VERY FRUSTRATING!

In general, with my iPod attached, I can push a button and call out the name of a song, an artist, or a playlist and Sync plays flawlessly. I have minor issues now and then (same some by 2 artists for example) but it generally works better than I expected it to.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by johnwill
Do you know who makes the Ford Nav system, i.e. whose maps etc they use? NAVTEQ? Who runs the interface? Panasonic? Gracenote? I am not sure.

Thanks
NAVTEQ does the mapping data, I believe the manufacturer of the unit itself is Xanavi, and Ford does the interface design.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:41 AM
Empireman

Here is a copy of the email I got from Sync today. Please scroll down to see the original emails that I sent them. This is NOT good customer service. I would assume that Ford would have the latest systems. Like I said prior, it looks great, but is basically a crap unit that does not compete with the Garmin. A waste of almost $3000. paid over seven years which will end u-p costing way more than that! Read on and make your own decision - I wish I would have done my homework before I made the purchase. REMEMBER - I LOVE MY TRUCK = it's the NAV system that I have issues with!

Thank you for your email in regards to the Navigation system.

Unfortunately yes, that is correct. The Navigation system is designed to have a preset list of Points of Interest and then give the user the ability to navigate to an address that they have entered. I apologize for this inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Paul
Ford Motor Company
SYNC Support Center

Ford Confidentiality:
-

[THREAD ID:1-4TCIL3]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 8/28/2009 05:08:37 PM
To: ceo2crc@ford.com
Subject: Re: Navigation System – General Use

Hello Paul

Thank you for getting back to me.

So - am I to understand that this system is a "basic" system and
really if for telling you how to get to an address that you already
know - rather than actually find you destinations other than the
listed categories?

On Aug 28, 2009, at 12:57 PM, ceo2crc@ford.com wrote:

From sync:

Thank you for your email in regards to your Navigation unit.

Unfortunately, the Navigation system for you vehicle does not work
in this way. I apologize for the inconvenience you are experiencing
and the disappointment you have in the system.

Sincerely,

Paul
Ford Motor Company
SYNC Support Center

Ford Confidentiality:

[THREAD ID:1-4TCIL3]

-----Original Message-----

Sent: 8/27/2009 08:39:59 PM
To: ceo2crc@ford.com
Subject: Re: SYNC

Hello

Thank you for contacting me.