Topic Sponsor
General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 F150 Turn Signal Problem

Old 08-19-2009, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 2000 F150 Turn Signal Problem

For about a week now, my 2000 F150 XLT is have turn signal problems. When I turn on the left or right signal on, it starts to work for about 2 maybe 4 blinks, but then stops. If I re-do the R/L signal, right after the first time, it works a little long. Looking to see what might be causing this. Column turn-signal unit or what ever?????
Old 08-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Huh?

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im not exactly sure.. but my first guess would be the flasher...

Im sure someone else thats knows a little more will come in here shortly and be able to help.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Let's go play in the mud

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 03 had a similar problem. threre is a connector in the column that will come lose when you tilt the stering wheel down. cost 10 for the part an 65 for the labber. hopes this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Harden (09-26-2014)
Old 08-19-2009, 06:48 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zeon88
my 03 had a similar problem. threre is a connector in the column that will come lose when you tilt the stering wheel down. cost 10 for the part an 65 for the labber. hopes this helps.
sounds like the solution to me - that would explain the intermittent flashing - the connection is loose
Old 08-20-2009, 01:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Signal issues

I hope it's either the flasher or a loose connection, but it also could be the switch. I've had where it worked fine on left but only flashed once or twice going right in the 97 truck I have. Turned out to the be the turn signal switch. Wifes 97 Merc also had signal switch issues. In both cases the switch had to be changed out to fix the problems.

Paul
Old 08-23-2009, 07:59 AM
False. Black bear.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zeon88
my 03 had a similar problem. threre is a connector in the column that will come lose when you tilt the stering wheel down. cost 10 for the part..

i second this.. mine did the same and i just fixed it this weekend. perfect description, but i did did kinda hardwire connections. did not buy a new part to have it break again.
The following users liked this post:
Kevin Harden (09-26-2014)
Old 08-25-2009, 05:01 PM

Default Fixed this problem myself 2 mos. ago

(just posted this reply to a guy w/ similar problems over in the '97-'03 F150 Forum)

I recently had the same problems - both turn signals sort of going crazy... blinking out of rhythm, then stopping altogether. Very puzzling. And the dash blinking matched the lights. No bad bulbs/lamps. They all worked.

Suggested problem areas were: the turn signal switch/master switch (inside the column), a loose connector - also inside the column, and the turn signal relay/flasher.

What I found was that the turn signal relay (also called "flasher") was bad. It's a part that costs $12 or so and can be replaced yourself. It's located under the dash, is about the size of a 1 inch cube, and has prongs (think electrical plug). A knowledgeable guy at O'Reilly's was very helpful in getting me the right one, and that made it easier to find what I was looking for under the dash. When I found it, it just unplugged (the factory unit had a piece of tape around it - removed that) and I plugged the new one in.

Again, the part was incredibly simple to replace. In my '02 F150, however, I did have to exercise extreme patience and acrobatics to (a) remove a ton of various little screws to get the bottom dash panel (by your knees) off so that I could see better to find the flasher. You might or might not have to do that. Should be located below and slightly to the right of steering column as you're facing the dash. (not when you're laying upside down on the floorboard, half in and half out of the truck... from that angle it's to the left of the steering column...)

Important note - disconnect the negative battery cable before doing any of this...
Old 09-01-2009, 05:33 PM

Default Flasher Replacement fixed the problem. Thanks

The reply from "lkrav3" was right on the money. $15 to be exact. The one thing I would add is that there is a housing around the flasher(s) that was wrapped with black Elec. tape. For what ever reason. I had to make sure that this was the flasher by turning on the turn signal and feeling the box as it flashed.

Thanks to all replied. I hate going to a dealer for a thing like this.
Old 09-18-2009, 11:10 PM

Any pictures yet? I got the same problem. I took it to a shop 7 months ago and it just started doing it again. I'll do it myself if I can find the little thing.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:01 PM

Default Pictures on this thread

Superman,
I posted some pics just last week in the following thread where P'smurf is trying to troubleshoot the same type of problem:
https://www.f150forum.com/f6/turn-signals-going-bad-please-help-29792/index2/
This link should take you to page 2 of the thread, where I posted my pics along with a description...

Lkrav

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2000 F150 Turn Signal Problem