General F150 Discussion General Ford F150 truck discussions and questions
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 f150 4.6 fuel filter or fuel pump problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 f150 4.6 fuel filter or fuel pump problem

99 f150 failed to start, plenty of cranking power and spark. Seems like it's not getting fuel. I put starter fluid in and truck started up and has been for a day now. But not starting as smoothly as before. Thank you.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:42 AM

you should have a fitting with a shrader valve on the fuel rail with a cap on it, take the cap off, turn your key to the on position don’t start it. depress the shrader valve on the fuel rail. WATCH YOU EYES!!!!!!! if fuel sprays out like a son of a gun you are getting fuel, if it doesn’t spray, dribble or just come out a bit you are not getting fuel.

when you turn the key to the on position you should be able to hear the pump cycle for a second or two. so also try to listen to the tank if you can get someone else to turn the key on and see if you hear the pump working.

if you are not getting fuel and the pump is not cycling try beating on the gas tank with a hammer or something. see if you can get the pump to work. if you do get it to run it needs a fuel pump. and if you don’t get it to run it still may need a fuel pump. but this is just a point to start out on. I’m not saying a fuel pump IS the problem. but it sounds like it may be.

Last edited by kifels; 07-05-2009 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:42 AM

I could not hear the fuel pump switch on when i turned the key to the on pos. I also could not find the valve on the the fuel rail, However I took a chance and pulled the bed off the truck and changed the fuel Pump. And I'm back in business. Thank you for your help.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:00 PM

no problem. you really pulled the bed off? that's way to much work for me Id rather drop the tank. but I also have access to a lift. glad I could help

Old 05-15-2011, 08:45 PM

Default fuel pump

where do you find the shrader valve
Old 05-15-2011, 09:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

It's usually easier to pull the bed off then drop the tank. Especially if you don't have a lift. Figure it's only 6 bolts in the bed, 3 at the filler neck and a couple connectors. http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:0,s:0

Thats a picture of where the schrader valve should be.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:48 PM

i have a 99 f150 and i have replaced the fuel pump,relay,and filter and my pump still wont come on and i have tried to run a wire from the relay to the pump still no power
Old 11-10-2011, 01:26 PM

Default Fuel pump bad??

I'm having similar problem. My 99 F150 5.4 seemed to almost run out of gas while I was driving. Sputtered for a few seconds then took off and was fine for half hour or so. Parked in the garage, went to leave an hour later started fine, backed out of garage and it died in driveway. Seemed to run out of gas. Then wouldn't start. Pulled the fuel filter off replaced it, started right up long enough to pull in the garage then sputtered and died. If I leave it sit for half hour or so it will start for a minute or less and seem to run out of gas.
Fuel pump bad???
Any help would be appreciated, I don't diagnose very well and don't have another vehicle, so I really need to figure this out

Thanks
Old 11-10-2011, 01:56 PM

Also I read earlier that pushing in the shrader valve fuel should spray out. I tried that and fuel spurted just a bit. What does this mean for me
Old 12-29-2011, 04:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lildill9999
i have a 99 f150 and i have replaced the fuel pump,relay,and filter and my pump still wont come on and i have tried to run a wire from the relay to the pump still no power
I hope you've got this fixed by now, but if you haven't, this should help...

Unplug the wire harness that comes directly from the fuel pump. Check to see if you're getting the right voltage at the power side of the harness. If you are getting power, try supplying the voltage directly to the fuel pump via the wire harness with a seperate battery. If you take the pump out of the tank, you could even check the voltage right by the pump to see if that wiring is good. If the direct voltage works, you have a wiring problem before that. If it doesn't turn the pump on, you have a bad pump.

Quick Reply: 99 f150 4.6 fuel filter or fuel pump problem