Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

Thermostat Change

Old 06-15-2009, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thermostat Change

Hey guys,
Thermostat not working properly, will move alittle , but mainly stays on cold. Going to change out, Any special things to know before starting?
THANKS
Old 06-15-2009, 08:42 PM
No Pain, No Pain!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nothing special I can think of, just make sure you install the t-stat in the proper direction or the antifreeze won't flow at all. Good luck!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:28 PM

I did this in my 94 I6 last fall. I was worried that the temp only went up to the O in normal on the gauge. I installed the new thermostat and there was no change. Ive heard that it is normal for the temp needle to hardly move. My heat works fine so I guess its normal.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:43 AM

make sure you clean the gasket surfaces well and probably will need to use silicone to seal it up properly. i DIDN'T do this, and will have to take it apart again to stop the slow leak.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:40 AM

Thanks for the replies, The needle barley moves off the cold, it goes up slightly, then drops all the way back. Should i even change it if everything is working properly?
Old 06-16-2009, 10:07 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

If your truck has a radiator cap on the radiator instead of expansion tank, open it up and see if it flows coolant all the time. Should go in cycles if t-stat is opening and closing. No cap makes it harder, need to remove t-stat and look at it physically. As mentioned earlier the temp element whether a spring or a pellet has to go into the engine away from the radiator.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've done quite a few of thermostats and never used silicone just a new gasket which they should give u when u buy a new thermostat...just make sure to clean all old gasket off, on thermostat housing and on motori use a blade to do it, be very careful not to groove into the metaland all should be well...on my 5.8l i remove belt and idler pulley to get better access to the thermostat
Old 06-16-2009, 10:44 PM
KickAss Member

when i did mine on my 5.0 i used silicone. even though it came with a gasket, i used it just to be safe. havent had a leak yet and i didnt have to remove any belts or pulleys for better access. i like gms style intake better with the thermostats on top of the intake manifold rather than on the side. just think its a better design.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:35 AM
gr8dane

you might already have an aftermarket t-stat on there. I have a 180 degree t-stat on mine and it barely moves from cold. is this a recent issue or has it always been that way?
Old 06-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Rollin'

Originally Posted by mavdad
Thanks for the replies, The needle barley moves off the cold, it goes up slightly, then drops all the way back. Should i even change it if everything is working properly?

I took out my thermostat on my '96 about 60k miles ago. Still runs great. the only problem is that i can't run my heater. It doesn't get hot enough to be useful.

I live in south texas so i dont need a heater anyway. There is only two seasons here, Summer and Hell

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thermostat Change