Topic Sponsor

Smog and emissions delete?

Old 03-16-2014, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smog and emissions delete?

I've got the 4 BBL 351 F150, it's a 87 and I don't know how to start with taking the smog pump off? What would I need to take off and plug for vaccum ports?
Old 03-16-2014, 10:53 AM
Ambulance surgeon.

Just take it off, its that simple.

If you have the smog tubes that go in your manifold you can leave them in there along with the rubber tubes. There is a check valve in there that won't let it do anything.

Or if you want to go fancy just plug it with some 3/4 pipe plugs. Good luck getting them out though....

Are you trying to do a full delete or just a partial smog pump delete?
Old 03-16-2014, 05:20 PM

I'd like to do a full delete, my brothers 302 already had it done but I was just wanting to know if it was different from that because it was EFI
Old 03-16-2014, 10:16 PM
Ambulance surgeon.

With EFI you'll have to keep the EGR valve (if you have one) and its associated vacumn line plumbing. Everything else you can get rid of.

The EFI engines don't like it when you get rid of the EGR valve, unless you add a bigger cam or something so it pulls better vacumn. I tried deleting the EGR on my truck when it went out and it ran like dog poop. Its mostly in the programming of the computer though, its made to work with the EGR. It doesn't really rob any power though, I just kept mine it was way easier and cheaper that way haha

Since you have carb you have essentially unlimited tuning option but I'd highly suggest getting rid of the original carb if you want anything better. The motorcraft carbs aren't known for being all that stupendous. You'll need at least a 600 CFM carb.
Old 03-22-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by OMG It Runs
With EFI you'll have to keep the EGR valve (if you have one) and its associated vacumn line plumbing. Everything else you can get rid of.

The EFI engines don't like it when you get rid of the EGR valve, unless you add a bigger cam or something so it pulls better vacumn. I tried deleting the EGR on my truck when it went out and it ran like dog poop. Its mostly in the programming of the computer though, its made to work with the EGR. It doesn't really rob any power though, I just kept mine it was way easier and cheaper that way haha

Since you have carb you have essentially unlimited tuning option but I'd highly suggest getting rid of the original carb if you want anything better. The motorcraft carbs aren't known for being all that stupendous. You'll need at least a 600 CFM carb.
uh no. the EGR is not gonna affect how it runs.. I've deleted egr off multiple trucks, stock, mild, wild, no negative effects before and after really.

and to delete all of it is simple.
Old 06-25-2014, 12:34 AM

Default how simple

How easy is it to delete it all? Just un bolt and plug up holes?
Old 11-15-2014, 11:37 PM
EFI Dyno Tuning.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

old thread but no reply

yes thats correct, egr does not effect engine running
Old 03-01-2015, 05:08 PM

Just seen this. I'm looking into deleting my egr because the headers I got don't have the bung for it. Wondering if what needs to be done and if anyone got pictures post them please?
Old 03-03-2015, 01:14 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

egr= exhaust gas return

it was used strictly for smog laws by returning rich exhaust back into the engine to burn more
just leave the electrical plug hanging (maybe tie it up safe somewhere)
plug the associated vaccum
Old 03-03-2015, 02:28 AM

You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of it would ya?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smog and emissions delete?