Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Added lights to my trailer tow mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 11:34 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Received 229 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Added lights to my trailer tow mirrors

First off, I'd like to say thanks to XtraLargeTall for inspiring and answering some questions about this little project. He installed his lights last year but I've wanted to add them since I bought the truck in May of 2012.

I used a slightly different light than XLT used. I ordered the lights from Custom Dynamics. http://www.customdynamics.com/trufle...d_lighting.htm
I used one 10 LED strip for each mirror. These lights measure 2.17" long by .25" wide by .30" tall. I'm using the amber LEDs with the smoke housing. I also ordered one 2 to 3 wire converter for each mirror. This lets the LEDs function as both running lights and bright turn signals.

I found it much easier to remove the whole mirror assembly from the truck before doing any work to it. I found that removing the mirror glass and splitting apart the mirror housing to be a royal pain but neccessary to be able run the wires how I wanted.

The key with this project is take your time and don't use too much force. I didn't break a mirror but I broke 4 clips in each mirror that help hold it together. The clips were only on the telescopic arms anyway so I just used some hot-glue in each spot when I re-assembled the mirrors.

Here's the finished product:

I wanted to take more pics but as I started running out of time, I was sort of rushing just to get it done.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:25 AM

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Definatley post more pics when you get a chance I like it
Old 01-13-2014, 01:32 AM
One Clean Machine

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,350 Posts

Looks great... Was always surprised ford didnt have a Removable reflector on the tow mirrors like the Standard ones!

Only problem I see, is that with them being Mounted close to the edge of the mirror,! You or a Passerby might accidentally knock them off the mirror when squeezing by...
Old 01-13-2014, 09:09 AM
Keepin' the lights on!

Originally Posted by Toddman34
Looks great... Was always surprised ford didnt have a Removable reflector on the tow mirrors like the Standard ones!

Only problem I see, is that with them being Mounted close to the edge of the mirror,! You or a Passerby might accidentally knock them off the mirror when squeezing by...
If I was to do it over I'd probably move them in 1/2". I'm not sure how well these lights will stay on. I may look for something that can be mounted from the inside or at least a little more stout. Don't get me wrong, I like how they look, just not sure if they'll hold up there.

I will say they make a good difference when backing into a dark narrow garage. I can finally see where my mirrors are without rolling down the window. The guys with the 2013+ TT mirrors have it good.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 AM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

i too have been looking at doing this...thanks for more motivation..
Old 01-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

A quick daytime pic.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:36 PM
One Clean Machine

WattMaker, how'd you mount them? Just with the supplied double sided tape?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:49 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Originally Posted by Toddman34
WattMaker, how'd you mount them? Just with the supplied double sided tape?
Yes, just the tape. I used some 3M promoter on the mirror housing first. I slightly heated the double sided tape on the lights before I stuck them. Actually I've had good luck in the past doing it that way. We shall see if it holds. Unfortunately, no screw provisions on these lights.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:01 PM
One Clean Machine

Originally Posted by Watt-maker
Yes, just the tape. I used some 3M promoter on the mirror housing first. I slightly heated the double sided tape on the lights before I stuck them. Actually I've had good luck in the past doing it that way. We shall see if it holds. Unfortunately, no screw provisions on these lights.
Meh... Better that way in case you find a better, bigger, brighter set.... Easier to swap out as well...
Old 01-13-2014, 09:35 PM
Keepin' the lights on!

Kind of hard to tell but I'm only a couple inches from that toolbox.

I have to park all the way over like this so my wife can still park in the garage as well. It's nice to see exactly where the mirror is in relation to something like this at night.

Quick Reply: Added lights to my trailer tow mirrors