Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

How to make a fast truck?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to make a fast truck?

Ok guys, now I have been trying to figure this out for quite some time. I have yet to add anything to my truck as of now, but will soon (hopefully next week the first mod comes on and from then on in once i feel the power and get addicted) invest time and money into getting the fastest truck I can. When I got my car Ford had already stopped making the lightning so please dont bring this up (i have been upset 5 years already). I want my '06 5.4l v8 to be as fast as possible. I dont do any towing or hauling (and I dont see why I wont be able to anyway), so I am asking to please give me a list of what mods will help my truck move fast. Ideally I want a 10 sec truck. So I am asking you guys who are very knowledged to please inform as to what I should run as in mods, and if you have a preferred company I can take those opinions as well. Also I need my truck, so I also appreciate mods that maintain the truck. I do not want to just throw a SC on there and then have my transmission blow. I rather invest more in precautions then repair, that way I atleast always have my truck running, theoretically.

Thank you in advance

p.s.
not asking what other truck to get, asking what i can do to my truck

Last edited by HIAplaya; 05-18-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:48 PM

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

buy a lightning.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:40 PM

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jbhill
buy a lightning.
^^^

Beat me to the punch.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Truck & Car Hobbyist

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How to make a truck fast? By spending Money...and a lot of it.

If you have a 2wd reg cab shortbed, their is some potential. What is your truck?

If you wanted speed, you should have gotten a used lightning, srt10 viper truck, or a ...car.

If you must keep your truck and want to make it quicker, do a gear swap, long tubes with full dual exhaust and a supercharger with tune. You will be hittin around 12's which is very respectable.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:02 PM

thank you bigblack... if u read my question, i asked not to bring up the lightning. i realize that would be the best bet, but i wanted a new truck, and my parents get me the KR Super Crew. Anyway I want information on getting my truck fast, not on what other trucks or cars to buy
Old 05-18-2009, 02:30 PM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

How much money are you looking to spend? Ten's can be done but you are talking literally TEN"S of thousands of dollars.....

With some nice bolt on's, you can get the truck to move decently well and sound awesome but you won't be blowing the doors off a Corvette or anything.

Also you have to ask yourself, how much power do I really want and are you going to drag race it? To get down to ten second, you're talking rebuilding everything as stock internals can't handle that power, tranny, upgrading fuel system, all sorts of stuff.....

I like that you want to modify your truck rather then just get a lightning but since you did say you're parent's bought it, I'm assuming ( could be wrong here :-) that you're not working with a massive budget....

I'd start with cai, tune, gears, exhaust system, maybe underdrive pulleys and see how you like that. It would be a completely different truck to drive....

Just my .02 from experience. GL with whatever you do
Old 05-18-2009, 02:50 PM

thank you sogwap, just some more info please can u tell me what i should be looking for as in gears and the pulleys. And my parents did buy the truck. 5 years ago, and now i am graduating college soon and have my own money to work with. Within 2 years I will hopefully have tens of thousands of dollars to spend (so info for drastic changes is still needed) but for now i have a couple thousand coming in this summer to start with the mods frenzy, next summer, hopefully i will be prepared for forced induction, or hopefully prepared for one.

I do realize stock parts cant handle the power which is why i would also apreciate info on what parts I would need to swap out in order to prevent damage.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Proudly Canadian

Received 124 Likes on 113 Posts

I would check out Roush for performance parts. I hear they are pretty good seeing as how they only do Ford vehicles. I don't know from experience though because i have no mods done to my truck. I have also heard good things about K&N CAI's and magnaflow (and another brand, can't remember) for exhaust system. If you do get an exhaust, go true dual rather than SI-DO.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:06 PM

k thanks.. will check out rousche... at least for ideas iv heard they are very expensive, for one airaid intake is the same a rousche without the sticker that says rousche...
Old 05-18-2009, 03:33 PM
I NOM NOM NOM Threads...

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Also, how big a tire do you want to run as that will relate also to the gears performance. Options for a 5.4 generally are 4:10, 4:56 or 4:88. 4:88 are pretty steep but I know a few guys who have done it and like them.

Far as brand for gears, I would say FRPP but Motive makes pretty good ones.

For underdrive pulleys, they dont add a lot ( I know it's 8 to 10 hp on my 3v Mustang but that 8 to 10 towards top end, not bottom ) but if want to get down to big numbers powerwise, have to do all the lil things that add up.
http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.as...rtfamilyid=207

For first things first, I'd get a CAI, exhaust and tune. Those 3 combines will really make a nice different in power, drivability and sound....

Tune and exhaust, eh, everybody has their own opinions on which is best. Most folks go with a Xcal 3 tuner but I've heard good things about Predator as well, just not as many adjustable options on it.

Quick Reply: How to make a fast truck?