Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

No lights in my Instrument Cluster???

Old 05-15-2009, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does your dimmer switch adjust the dome light? maybe the switch is broke but other than that i would assume its a fried circuit or wire since youve tried everything else.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah it turns the dome on but it does not dimm the radio, ac lights. and no cluster light???? what the hell?????????? anyone please help
Old 05-15-2009, 01:52 AM

Received 199 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Wadiz
yeah it turns the dome on but it does not dimm the radio, ac lights. and no cluster light???? what the hell?????????? anyone please help

Have you tested the dimmer sw?

You already have the dash out. Check the dimmer SW. If the instrument cluster is disconnected will the radio dim?
With the cluster connected will the radio dim? If no change I would suspect a dimmer problem.
You can check it by using a digital volt/ohm meter.Make sure you have good 12 volts going into the switch.If so, roll the switch and check voltage at the other side.It should increase and decrease as you move the switch.If that seems to be ok i would say you probably have a bad dash cluster..If yhe switch turns out to be bad you could always get one from a junk yard,
you need a repair manual sometimes they have good wiring diagrams of such things...

But first what exactly did the body shop do, did they have the dash apart? Did they cut wires? Did they leave things loose? Like grounds!!

Can you see the circuit board for the instrument cluster? Does anything look fried?

Bucko usually has good info.

Last edited by Larryw1; 05-15-2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Wadiz
OOPs! A double post. Ignore
Old 05-15-2009, 02:06 AM

Thanks for the response.

the body shop as far as i know did some minor work on the passanger side. the pillar was collapse due a tbone accident. they replaced the pillar and a new door. I dont think they cut any cords or wires.... the only thing i can think of, is they welded with the batt. cables on.. im not sure though.

i will def. try the volt. meter thing you said. dont have one but will get one tomorrow.

Bucko is the man!!! very helpful thanks again
Old 05-15-2009, 04:49 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Need an ohm meter, with cluster removed check the black wires in the connectors for ground, perhaps the body shop (not knowing where they repaired) left a ground wire off. Any other wierd things not working?
Old 05-15-2009, 05:00 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Didn't catch the body shop repair to RH pillar. Pull off the kick plate and check there for the disconnected ground. Black wire with a green terminal.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Good old Bill
Didn't catch the body shop repair to RH pillar. Pull off the kick plate and check there for the disconnected ground. Black wire with a green terminal.
In My shop there were many times we had to chase ground problems. The body shops would leave grounds loose most times.
Like turn the turn signal on and all the tail light would blink. Both sides.
found the grounds for the tail light tucked behind the assy. Body shop!!!!

Sometimes the vehicles sit torn apart for weeks before they get put back together. I guess they just forget.

I could go on.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:08 PM

so i dont have a volt. meter yet but i was looking on ebay, There is a 2005 headlight/dimmer switch (my truck is 2004) .... should i try it?

2004 was the first year of the new body style and i dont think the dash changed at all but i could be wrong...... its only 20 bucks and the item is actually around the corner from my work, i can probably pick it up....

my dome light comes on when i roll the dimmer swich up?

Nothing dims when i roll the dimmer. Radio is constant bright.

no ac lights

no dash lights

im no expert but it kinda sounds like it could the headlight switch???

let me know what you think
thanks
Old 05-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I have to chime back it after reading your last post....Before you buy a dimmer or a headlight switch, do yourself a favor and either borrow or buy a volt/ohm meter (refered to as a multi-meter). Radio Shack, Home Depot, Lowes, or any hardware store sells them. You don't need to buy an expensive one, just a simple $20.00 small hand held meter.

And to answer your question, Ford made an early '04 F150 called the "Heritage", which is like the earlier (pre '04) models. That diller switch will not work on the late '04 to '08 F150's, that share the same dimmer switch. The headlight switch is different between '04 to '08 F150 models that had fog lights verses those that did not (the headlight switch pulls out to turn on the foglights on trucks equipped with them.

You can go to LMC Trucks web site and get a free parts catalog.

Once you have borrowed or bought a multimeter, check the dimmer switch and/or the headlight switch as Good old Bill has instructed you. He's wise. He knows what he's talking about. Take his advice. He is trying to save you money and aggravation.

If you buy the dimmer switch off of Ebay and it doesn't work, you'll buy the headlight switch. What if that is not it? Troubleshooting by tossing parts at something is too expensive.

If you plan to fix it yourself, you need the tools (in this case a multi-meter). If you don't have the tools, take it to someone that does and have them do it.

Or, just throw parts at it. Sooner or later, you'll get it (and empty your wallet).

Not trying to harp on you; just stating the facts.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 05-15-2009 at 04:43 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: No lights in my Instrument Cluster???