Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

2011 F-150 Heated mirror & rear window defrost problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 02:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 F-150 Heated mirror & rear window defrost problems

I have a 2011 F-150 Ltd with heated mirrors, rear defrost & a power rear sliding window.

Apparently all of these circuits are connected through the rear sliding window ( if the sliding window is open nothing works )...my truck is JUST off warranty by 6000 km ..... it looks like the internal switch/circuit in the rear sliding window has a flaw according to Ford so the mirrors & rear window defrost will no longer work.

Has anyone else had this happen? The only fix that Ford has is a full rear window replacement ( $1350 on my dime ) just to get the circuit replaced in the window...seems like a waste of money & glass to me.

Please help if you have had this happen & found a repair for it...repair kit etc... I wish it was a break in the defrost wire as it can be fixed but this is in Ford's switch not the glass but has to be purchased with the glass assembly as a whole....

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 10-28-2013, 03:11 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Pull-A-Part or any salvage yard near by.

Old 10-28-2013, 03:19 PM

There is...but I haven't seen much in there that is this new...good idea...I'll start making some calls
Old 11-09-2013, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2010 has a similar issue. My dealer states the window needs to be replaced for $850+. The difference I have is the heated mirrors work, just not the defrost in the rear sliding window. The dealer states the passenger side heats, not the middle or drivers side. I haven't noticed it working at all, though I will look again.
Does anyone have any new info or the ability to point me to a thread I've missed?
Old 11-16-2013, 08:51 AM

An update: yesterday morning, mirrors defrosted and rear window inop. even passenger side, despite dealers statement.
Local glass company states they replace quite a few of these. Always for the defrost, the sliding power unit usually works.

Anyone have any info on this?
Old 11-18-2013, 09:14 AM

I have the same issue. Last year The push button on the "climate control module" quite working and nothing worked. The dealer replaced the module and the light started working again. I never had to use the Defrost mirror/rear window again.

Now this year, I have noticed that the button operates, the mirrors heat, but the rear defrost does not work. When i open the rear slider the light does not shut off on the module.

I did a little trouble shooting and power (14.85v) is getting to the rear glass. When i have the Rear Slider closed my meter says there is 517 Ohms, when it is open there is 0 ohms. I though that should be opposite. I seems like I have a continuety problem when the rear glass is closed, but the circuit must just bypass it when the window is open. It is telling me that there is a problem with the rear slider. Probably the contacts.

I am going to take it to the dealer again since I have been able to do my own troubleshooting, last time I was told it was working properly. It's pretty hard to back that up when there is frost on my window in the mornings that doesn't clear off.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:41 PM

I have been testing my truck as well. It appears that the light will not light in the dash to show the system is working but the mirrors will heat up but the rear window defrost doesn't work at all.
I found a service manual and there is a rear window position sensor that must work or the whole system is inoperable. That sensor is only available with the purchase of the whole rear window assembly.
I have printed off some pages from the service book and will be conducting my own tests this afternoon.
The following users liked this post:
Shaun Ohl (09-24-2016)
Old 11-27-2013, 03:01 PM

It looks like the issue with my truck is a position sensor like I thought. The light for my defrost will briefly turn on when the rear window is being closed just before the window stops in the closed position.

Is anyone else having the same problems? If so have you found a solution or the parts to fix it? etc...
Old 12-03-2013, 03:06 PM
woz

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Same problem with my truck(rear defrost not working). Dealer is trying to locate new window and have glass company replace it. Looks like a expensive stew up on fords part. I'm glad I'm still under warranty...2011 xlt.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:34 AM

My 2011 is in the shop today. I will let you know how it goes. I gave them a list of all the troubleshooting that I did that leads to the defective rear window. The guy at the dealership sort of blew it off when I showed it to him.
Last year they replaced the climate control module and obviously that was not the problem.

Quick Reply: 2011 F-150 Heated mirror & rear window defrost problems