Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB Radio and 2013 Truck

Old 10-05-2013, 07:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question CB Radio and 2013 Truck

I searched the forums but didn't find an answer to this question, and the dealer was zero help.

I have a 2013 STX 4x4 with the am/fm/cd/sirius/sync radio in it. I want to install a CB radio but instead of doing what I have always done in the past; which was mount it and run a lead to the fuse box, I figured it would be prudent to find out where it's safe to connect the power and ground since this truck seems to be mostly computer.

I went to the dealer and asked in the service department. The service guy looked me in the eye with a straight face and told me I would need the electrical schematics for the 2013 STX 4x4 with that sound system, but that they didn't have those anymore. He then went on to add that they used to have them but they had to "send them back" because the 2014 model was coming out.

Really? You're still selling the new 2013's but have no access to the technical manuals because the new model year is coming out?
He then suggested that I take the truck and the cb to "any" aftermarket car stereo installer and let them do it.

Nope- I've have friends who have had their cars and trucks fried by those idiots. Several had to have ECM's replaced and one watched his car burn to the ground.

Is there an officially safe connection point? I really don't want to have to install a new buss/fuse box, wire it to the battery and frame, then drill through the firewall to run a new power lead to it, etc.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Goofball

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

There are a number of unused fuses in the fuse box on my FX4. I assume you have these as well. I would think that would be the easiest way to go.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by ct f-150
There are a number of unused fuses in the fuse box on my FX4. I assume you have these as well. I would think that would be the easiest way to go.
Me too, but I can already hear a tech or service writer denying an claim in the future because I used a spot that was empty.

That's really my concern as far as putting the CB in = screwing up the warranty.

I've owned this truck for less than a week and I'm already wondering if I made a mistake. There are a few issues, and the dealer basically blows me off without even attempting to answer the questions.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:59 AM
Goofball

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like it is time for another dealer.
As far as your concern about screwing up the warranty, they have to prove that your installation caused a problem. If you are concerned, just unplug that fuse when you bring the truck in.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 102 Likes on 69 Posts

With a cb you can get away with using a add-a-fuse as its only 4 watts PEP, now with ham radio you run directly to the battery as we can run upwards of 500watts.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All the new trucks have grommets in the firewall where you can pass wiring through. One on the drivers side neer the steering column and the other on the passenger side where the large wire harness goes through the firewall. I have a ham radio with 2x12ga wires and my aux light switch wires (2x14ga) running through the passenger side grommet into a fuse box wired to the battery. I used to have them wired straight to the battery with inline fuses but my engine bay looked like a dogs breakfast. I wasn't about to tie into any wires and risk screwing something up.

The passenger side one is a bit of a pain in the *** to fish wires through, so some preplanning on your part will make it go smoother if thats the route you opt for.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:42 AM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

i just installed all my fire dept radios and lights in my truck and went straight to the battery with the power and ground wires. make it a stand alone circuit and they cant say anything about it.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:54 AM

And I run more radios in my truck than most, I have a commercial vhf, cb, HF ic 7000, and a ham vhf tmd-710a. And I have had no issue at all. How you mount the antenna is far more important than how you wire the radio. An improperly mounted antenna can wreak all sorts of havoc on the tricks computers, worst of which is common mode current, which essentially if transmitted rf coming back on the outside shielding of your coax. The most common cause of common mode is mag mounts, they just aren't adaquit, remember that your truck is essentially the other half of the antenna.
Take a look at k0bg.com for more info, he is the mobile radio guru.

Last edited by kevin7898; 10-05-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:02 AM

Thumbs up Thank you

Thanks to everyone for responding. I appreciate the help.

I thought about getting another fusebox, mounting it under the hood, and running all my mods on it to prevent any claims of feedback, etc. being created on the trucks original circuits.

I will be adding a CB, numerous lights, a ham radio (going to start learning about those this winter) and several other accessories, most of which will require power.

Browsing here has caused me to add several mods to my list already.

Have to say- never seen a fusebox mounted on top of a radiator before
Old 10-06-2013, 11:49 AM

What I did to mine is run a 40amp relay for each radio so the radios shut off when I turn the truck off.
The following users liked this post:
aboversite (08-11-2014)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CB Radio and 2013 Truck