Topic Sponsor
1987 - 1996 F150 Still running strong! Talk about your 8th and 9th generation Ford F150 trucks.

transmission slipping when I turn

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:16 PM
Fordiack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission slipping when I turn

hey guys I got a 1993 f150 with an AOD in it. I'v had it for a few years, it shifted fine before, but now months later, for some reason it is slipping from 1st to 2nd and seems to do it when I turn right around a corner. I did see that the fluid was a little high and had alot of bubbles on the dipstick, I did change and correct the fluid level. I read a few posts about the Fuel Injection Pump Lever sensor or it could be the TV (kickdown) cable. I check the kickdown looked good and taught, not broke. I have no idea where the Fuel Injection Pump Lever sensor would be, . any suggestions would help?
Old 04-26-2009, 11:06 PM

Upon reading your post im leaning more towards a slipping clutch pack in your limited slip diferential due to it happening only when you turn.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Fordiack

yeah it seems to slip when I turn hard to the right, but not at all when hard to the left. I can go straight without it slipping unless I floor it, then it will slip. It's like it's in neutral, and then it will rev up a lil, and then bump into gear, and if I gas it seems to make it get into gear faster, but it don't feel very good for the truck. It's almost like reving it in park and slamming it in drive.
I got a sensor for the rear axel (whatever sensor it is ABS or VSS I am unsure of) from the junkyard and put it in after cleaning it up and changing th erear diff fluid, but no change. The rear diff and gears looked fine. Now where is this limited slip clutch pack you speak of :P, I only seen the ring, pinion, planitaries, and center pin.

Last edited by gintstone; 04-27-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:17 PM

Then you dont have them, AODs are horrible tranmissions. Mine started to slip like that, around corners and right before i would throw it into park. A couple of weeks later, I had to do a rebuild. Dont change the fluid!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 12:41 AM

The clutch packs would be to the far left and far right of the side gears. If you had them you see 3 little tabs lined up on each side.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:12 AM
Fordiack

yea, I don't got any clutch packs, only gears.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:43 AM
Fordiack

ok lemme try to explain this a little better, my 1993 f150 drove great and shifted fine for 2 yrs, then over this last winter, the problem started. I figured it was b/c it was cold the fluid took a lil bit to warm up. Well when I would stop at the end of my driveway, the truck would rev up about 500rmp and act like it's in neutral. As I try to turn out of my driveway it would finally grab if I revved the engine a lil (like 200-300rpm more) and it would be fine all day after that. But it seemed to get progressivly worse, the past few months it's been slipping around right corners dominatly, and when I stop hard it seems to make the eengine rev like it's in neutral again (same thing as when I go around rights), till it thuds into gear.
I did everything: changed fluid and filter, added lucas trans slip stop (which is suppsoed to renew worn bands), CORRECTLY adjusted the TV cable (according to badshoeproductions.com), checked for leaks, anything and everything I'v tried to fix this slip. I even tried the Seafoam Transtune, it seemed to me to ake the tranny work better. I drove it for like 25 miles llike that, with the seafoam transtune in it, and it SEEMED better, so I changed the fluid again, and got mecron V and more lucas. With no avail after I changed out the Seafoam and put int he new mercron V and lucas slip stop, and still had the SAME problem. So I bought another Seamfoam Transtune and put it in (the whole pint) last night, drove it this morn, and had hardly any problems shifting, honestly it worked 90% better (slipped once goin straight through a light when I hit the gas more than 1/2 way down, and was a lil slip). My fluid level was inbetween the dots on the transmission dipstick (the normal area) before I put in the transtune, now that I put int he seafoam the fluid is in the crosshatched area alittle above the top dot. I don't understand what the Transtune could do over the lucas, I thought the thicked the fluid the better the grip, I am stunned at how th etranstune worked. I don't know if I might have a leak in my Valve body gasket, making the fluid level have to be higher to work right, or maybe the front pump going and the thinner fluid travels better, I dunno, but I do know that it is working 90% better than before the transtune. Let me know if you got any ideas on my crazy situation. I LOVE SEAFOAM TRANSTUNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:14 PM

Your transmission needs a rebuild. End of story. Sounds like the clutch packs are almost to the metal like mine were. The guy showed me the clutch packs out of mine, all of them were down to the metal except reverse, and it was looking bad as well. You have an AOD like mine. Either get a new one, or rebuild it, or get a junkyard one. Your choice. Rebuild is around 1400, new is around 1500 plus shipping, junkyard is like 300. Start thinking about it.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Fordiack

yea, I'm gonna give the valve body a look before that tho, you dont thing that could be a culpret? I get good grip from the tranny in upper gears, but 1st and s2nd seem to slip if I give too much gas, or bake hard, or go around a right turn. I'm wishing for that to be the prob, a stuck valve, or 1-2 accumulator or forward clutch accumulator. If I find nothing in there then me and my buddy gonna rebuild it, sweeeeet get to see how she looks inside.

Last edited by gintstone; 05-05-2009 at 08:27 AM.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:19 AM

Well, im telling you from experience. Mine did the same thing, and a couple weeks later at a rebuild shop. Our valve bodies suck. and it probably is in the valve bodies.

Quick Reply: transmission slipping when I turn