Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Tail lights not working

Old 04-22-2009, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail lights not working

I got pulled over yesturday for my tail lights being out. The four ways work and the brake lights work but my tail lights don't. I have checked the fuses and found only one that was blown, but it was for the rear auxillary outlet which I have never used. Maybe I have overlooked something. Does anybody know which fuse is for the tail lights?
Old 06-20-2009, 04:47 AM

Question

Originally Posted by danmit88
I got pulled over yesturday for my tail lights being out. The four ways work and the brake lights work but my tail lights don't. I have checked the fuses and found only one that was blown, but it was for the rear auxillary outlet which I have never used. Maybe I have overlooked something. Does anybody know which fuse is for the tail lights?

I have the same/similiar issue. 2001 F-150 XLT Off road 5.4L.
All other lights work other than tail lights, ie.. directionals, hazards & brake lights work, as well as the tail/brake light installed in my hitch reciever. All fuses are good,replaced bulbs and all quick connects to trailer lights. Still no Tail lights.
Really wish someone could offer advice. This is driving me crazy!
Thanks,
Paul
Old 06-20-2009, 08:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tail lights are on a separate circuit from the brake/tail lights and there are two filaments in each bulb on the back end. I would look for corrosion or damage to the wiring harness at the rear of the truck , checking particularly the polarized connectors on the wiring. dont just eyeball them pull them apart, make sure things are clean, and reassemble with fresh di-electric grease. I would suspect a weather seal on one of those plugs has failed and may be what is giving you trouble.

hth,

whttrks
The following 2 users liked this post by whitetrucks:
BeatBox Dot (04-24-2020), Tyris (03-12-2016)
Old 06-21-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by whitetrucks
Tail lights are on a separate circuit from the brake/tail lights and there are two filaments in each bulb on the back end. I would look for corrosion or damage to the wiring harness at the rear of the truck , checking particularly the polarized connectors on the wiring. dont just eyeball them pull them apart, make sure things are clean, and reassemble with fresh di-electric grease. I would suspect a weather seal on one of those plugs has failed and may be what is giving you trouble.

hth,

whttrks

Outstanding advice whttrks, Thank you. Though that wasn't the issue, I did find what it was due to your advice.
I retraced everything from front to back, this time around instead of just eyeballing I poked, tugged and examend more closely. I found a erroded wire that goes into the coupler that's in-line to both tail lights.
Thanks a bunch!
Old 06-21-2009, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes it's not the destination, but the path taken. Glad to be of service.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:57 PM
Danny

My trucks brake lights and turn signals don't work, it sounds like a wire shorted out in the steering wheel but i have no clue how to fix it. Any ideas??
Old 08-15-2015, 09:13 PM

Default My tail lights not working

2008 f150 My Tail reverse or brake lights are not working only thing working is the brake like on top of the cab. what do i need to do?
Old 08-15-2015, 09:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had an issue on my 03 where I had no brake or signals at the rear only the brake light on top of the cab. Turned out to be the turn signal switch. I believe the exact terminology is multifunction switch. It's in the column. It controls wipers, high beams, turn signals and hazards. I was able to open mine up and clean it and it worked fine after that. Careful not to lose the small pieces if you open it up.

Last edited by LariatDriver; 08-15-2015 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Spelling, grammar
Old 08-15-2015, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by LariatDriver
I had an issue on my 03 where I had no brake or signals at the rear only the brake light on top of the cab. Turned out to be the turn signal switch. I believe the exact terminology is multifunction switch. It's in the column. It controls wipers, high beams, turn signals and hazards. I was able to open mine up and clean it and it worked fine after that. Careful not to lose the small pieces if you open it up.
wipers work fine hazard working fine headlight even bright working fine. I don't know . thanks may use it for target practice everything in front works fine. I don't know.
Old 08-15-2015, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah it was the same for me. Everything was working but the rear brake lights and signals. My reverse lights were still working when I had this problem, though. Just thought it might help. Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tail lights not working