Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Looking for help: Noise Identification

Old 07-12-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for help: Noise Identification

Hey Everyone! I'm new here (as a poster, been reading for a while). I need some help identifying a noise my truck is making. I've attached a link to a video that has the sound on it, but here is a little background on the issue.

I've had several rear differential issues on this truck. The clutches were replaced under warranty at around 40,000 miles. Then at around 52,000 miles, the pinion bearing went and I had that replaced at a local tranny shop. Since then (I believe it started around this repair), I've had this 'rattle' happen when I am driving in higher gear (3rd I believe) and at around 2100 RPM. If I hit the accelerator a bit or lay off a bit it stops. Seems to occur when the engine is at it's highest level of noise (strain?). I can't really tell where exactly the noise is coming from.

I recently replaced the driver-side IWE acuator, but it's noise was completely different than this one. Not sure if maybe this is the passenger side going bad but in a different way? It's been doing this for probably close to a year and I can't seem to get anyone to tell me what it is.

Any info would be appreciated. And I'm happy to supply more info if needed.

Thanks ahead of time.

here's the vid, it's a little hard to hear, but it's there if you crank the volume:
Old 07-12-2013, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry...it's in the video, but the truck is a 2006 XLT Supercab. 5.4L.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Looking for help: Noise Identification