Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

The first time my Eco blew up......

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 PM

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts
Default The first time my Eco blew up......

*Edit*

Some
Members have suggested that perhaps there's power in numbers so I'm adding my ford customer care reps email to post #1. If you feel like sending him an email there's a template on page 16. https://www.f150forum.com/f70/first-...08912/index16/

My reps email address is amoha112@ford.com

Please don't be rude or belligerent to him. I do believe he's working within his capacity. It's just his capacity equates to not a lot.

Pics of engine number 1 documentation of replacement are on page 12

Thanks,

Cory Jerstad

*Editcomplete*

I was on my way to work. I work about 12 hours from home in the Canadian oil fields. I was roughly 3 hours from home. It was a nice warm spring day. Not hot but pleasant.

I pulled out to pass a mini van and heard a loud pop. The truck immediately said no oil pressure. I coasted the truck to the shoulder and shut it off. Called roadside to pick the truck up. Had approx 37000 Kms on it.

Roadside picked me and the truck up and took it to the nearest dealer. Before we left the driver and myself found a hole in the block, some pieces of the block, and what I think was a wrist pin. Still not sure.

The service advisor I talked to initially told me "it would be a hard thing to warrant" and if they decided to warranty the repairs "it will probably take 1.5 months".

I found these responses really disturbing. My truck is a 2012 King Ranch. It had a sticker price of 67 thousand on the window. I also purchased extended bumper to bumper warranty to 180 thousand Kms. I obviously didn't pay anywhere near 67 for it. I'm just making a point.

At this time I called ford of Canada to try and let a customer service rep know what I was told and to try and get some more answers. I was advised I'd hear back within 2 business days. Not exactly a great answer. At the time I remember thinking that was probably a token "cover their ***" type of comment. I thought I'd probably hear from a rep within 24 hours if not sooner. More on this later.

To be continued in a few minutes.

Last edited by GhostintheMachine; 05-13-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:57 PM

The next day I waited until about 1:30 and finally called the service advisor to see if any progress was being made. I was told "they'd get to it when they could" and they couldn't give me a time frame.

Now at my job I require a vehicle on site. I also run a crew of guys. I have a cross shift waiting for me to get there so he can go home to his family. We work 14 days and take 7 off.

I started to panic a bit on day 2 post Eco blow up. I actually went and started dealing on buying a new truck. Not trading in the blown truck. Just buy another ford. By day 4 post Eco blow I was approved for a nice raptor. Still no word from the service advisor or ford Canada. I called them a few times over the 4 days. I was polite. Basically just inquired if I'd ever hear from a ford Canada rep and if there was any news on my truck/warranty.

Day 5 I set out to pick up the raptor and on the 3 hour drive to the dealer (with the raptor) service advisor called an let me know my truck would get a new engine, turbos, intercooler, etc all under full warranty. I was really really happy that day. So happy that I didn't buy the raptor and actually used my pre-approval to buy my wife a 2013 edge sport. She was happy that day as well.

I took the edge up to work for one shift while my truck was being fixed. It wasn't ideal but it worked. The wife picked up my truck after the work was complete. They didn't give her any paperwork at that time. They advised her it had been mailed to our house. Strange but fair enough.

I finished work and came home to my truck. I hopped in and found the odo about 1000 Kms ahead from the last time I had seen it. I thought that was a bit odd but figured they had test drove the truck after the engine install. In all honesty I was so happy to have it back I just let it be. I also found it strange to get the truck back filthy. I didn't complain though I washed it inside and out quite happily.

More coming.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:04 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Popcorn in the microwave
Old 05-08-2013, 11:09 PM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

Originally Posted by GhostintheMachine
........ I also found it strange to get the truck back filthy. I didn't complain though I washed it inside and out quite happily.

More coming.
Its not strange, my trucks always filthy when I get it back from service...even when there was nothing to do on interior.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:15 PM

Received 2,961 Likes on 1,649 Posts

To OP, as thread says, "the first time" i'm assuming the new engine blew up too? More coming?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:33 PM
SHEEPDOG

Received 58 Likes on 53 Posts

A EcoBoost-themed serial novel. I'm in......
Old 05-08-2013, 11:42 PM

I bummed around the week after I got the truck back. Just did general stuff around the house. Really happy my truck was home.

Thinking back it did have a strange idle. Seemed higher than before. I thought maybe that was the fix for the intercooler condensation. I wasn't too worried about it. Truck ran good.

I set off for work again. Did a 16 day stint.

On my way home the truck started clacking. I called ford roadside and explained the situation. I also explained I'd like to keep driving to try and get to the closest city where I could catch a flight home. The gal I talked to agreed that was an ok plan and to call back if I needed any help.

About a half hour later I called back to explain engine number 2 was done. It did the same thing as engine number 1. Hole in the block. Cloud of blue smoke.

Now finally a ford Canada rep actually called me back. We set up a plan to take the truck to dealer A. Dealer A is maybe 1.5 hours from my job site. From dealer A I could of caught a ride to a city and caught a plane. It's in a town that's a through way to my job site. I actually called around work and found somebody that was willing to pick me up. Things weren't good but at least I'd be going home.

Tow driver arrived and advised me we were going to dealer B. dealer B is 25 Kms closer to where I broke down than dealer A. Dealer A and dealer B are about 130 Kms away from one another though. We both tried our contact numbers for ford and neither one of us could get ahold of anyone. The rep I had spoken to was conviently missing.

The tow driver advised me he'd have to take me to dealer B or he could drop the truck and I could get back in line to be towed. I waited about 1.5 hours for him to get to me the first time so I decided dealer B was better than nothing.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:54 PM
I Can't Think Of One

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

If you stop driving your truck to work you should be fine.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:56 PM

Tow driver was a nice enough guy. We shot the crap until we arrived at dealer B.

He unloaded the truck and I went in to talk to service. Service tells me it will be 10 days before they can even "look at the truck".

I'm going to cut to the chase here.

I exploded on the customer service rep a few times that night. In the end I ended up staying in a hotel waiting for my wife to drive 10 hours to pick me up. This was last night. She took the day off work to come get me.

Ford rep had my truck towed to dealer A as they could of looked at it same day.

There's a lot of "if its warranty" talk going on. I find this really irritating. The truck went 1500-2000 Kms before motor 2 was done.

I feel like engine 1 blowing up and me getting lack luster communication from ford isn't ok but it's reasonable and in the end they did the right thing.

Engine number 2 blowing up within 3 weeks and the service I've received from ford is totally unacceptable.

Ford offering to cover my 100 dollar hotel bill is a joke to me.

I'm not sure what I think is reasonable but how I've been treated isn't it.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I'm done with the novel for now but I'm happy to post if anybody has any questions.

I'm tired. Yesterday was a long day and so was today.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Track Hooligan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GhostintheMachine
Tow driver was a nice enough guy. We shot the crap until we arrived at dealer B.

He unloaded the truck and I went in to talk to service. Service tells me it will be 10 days before they can even "look at the truck".

I'm going to cut to the chase here.

I exploded on the customer service rep a few times that night. In the end I ended up staying in a hotel waiting for my wife to drive 10 hours to pick me up. This was last night. She took the day off work to come get me.

Ford rep had my truck towed to dealer A as they could of looked at it same day.

There's a lot of "if its warranty" talk going on. I find this really irritating. The truck went 1500-2000 Kms before motor 2 was done.

I feel like engine 1 blowing up and me getting lack luster communication from ford isn't ok but it's reasonable and in the end they did the right thing.

Engine number 2 blowing up within 3 weeks and the service I've received from ford is totally unacceptable.

Ford offering to cover my 100 dollar hotel bill is a joke to me.

I'm not sure what I think is reasonable but how I've been treated isn't it.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I'm done with the novel for now but I'm happy to post if anybody has any questions.

I'm tired. Yesterday was a long day and so was today.
What octane are you running? What altitudes?

Shaun from AED was telling me how these motors are dangerous even in stock form with how they boost spike.

Quick Reply: The first time my Eco blew up......