Topic Sponsor
Lighting Come discuss all Ford F150 Lighting questions here!

2013 OEM HID projector shield mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 08:55 PM
HAK

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thumbs up 2013 OEM HID projector shield mod

I can't take credit for this simple free mod. It started from a discussion in my thread on hidplanet. A member Viper238, also on here I think, played around with modifying the shield of the OEM projector. The end result cleans up the cutoff. Playing with various clear lenses might prove to unlock any remaining potential the stock projectors have, who knows.

But I figured I would host his pics that I edited to include arrows of the area you modify and some text. The below pics are all with a notched Osram CBI D2S bulb (now we know you don't have to get the full D3S stock setup, ala save more $$). Two of the pics are also taken from tux's disassembly pics since they show the mini flap well. Hope neither mind. If so just let me know and I'll take them down.

The procedure is simple. There is like a mini flap shield made onto the low beam movable cutoff shield. While carefully holding the cutoff shield, he bent the mini flap down out of the way. That mini flap is responsible for some of the "curvy" nature of the cutoff near the step. Folding it out of the way allows the more straight low beam cutoff to be used and not disrupt the light.

Thanks again Viper for discovering this free mod.

Last edited by HAK; 03-04-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:11 PM
F150 Forum

Received 247 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by HAK
I can't take credit for this simple free mod. It started from a discussion in my thread on hidplanet. A member Viper238, also on here I think, played around with modifying the shield of the OEM projector. The end result cleans up the cutoff. Playing with various clear lenses might prove to unlock any remaining potential the stock projectors have, who knows.

But I figured I would host his pics that I edited to include arrows of the area you modify and some text. The below pics are all with a notched Osram CBI D2S bulb (now we know you don't have to get the full D3S stock setup, ala save more $$). Two of the pics are also taken from tux's disassembly pics since they show the mini flap well. Hope neither mind. If so just let me know and I'll take them down.

The procedure is simple. There is like a mini flap shield made onto the low beam movable cutoff shield. While carefully holding the cutoff shield, he bent the mini flap down out of the way. That mini flap is responsible for some of the "curvy" nature of the cutoff near the step. Folding it out of the way allows the more straight low beam cutoff to be used and not disrupt the light.

Thanks again Viper for discovering this free mod.
Looks great! I did try a zkw-r in them at first when they came out but actually worsened the cutoff. Partially because the lense could never sit flush on the frame from all the notches. But with a bit of modifying I'm sure it could be done!

Quick Reply: 2013 OEM HID projector shield mod