Topic Sponsor
2009 - 2014 Ford F150 General discussion on 2009 - 2014 Ford F150 truck.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

towing mirror questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 08:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default towing mirror questions

i did some searching and couldnt really find an anwswer

i have a 2013 Fx4 with the regular mirrors.

im looking at picking up towing mirrors and my concern is the power extending option. i do not have the little swith for it and there is not a cut out for the switch to be installed on a door panel so im curious as to if anyone else has done the mod and how the did the power extending

also i know the super dutys have the power folding option, do the 2013 f150's offer that in a tow mirror?

thanks
Old 03-02-2013, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had any luck finding power-fold in the tow mirrors. I'm looking to do the same change on mine
Old 03-02-2013, 09:25 PM

Received 240 Likes on 178 Posts

i believe the tow mirrors would be compatible with what you got on your truck, if your mirrors have pwr,heat,fold it will do it but the telescoping part will not be possible, thats what the extra switch is for. u would have to add another wire harness/switch if u want that feature. I got tow mirrors on my max tow, there awesome, i came from SD so it was a must for me.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Buffblazer
i did some searching and couldnt really find an anwswer

i have a 2013 Fx4 with the regular mirrors.

im looking at picking up towing mirrors and my concern is the power extending option. i do not have the little swith for it and there is not a cut out for the switch to be installed on a door panel so im curious as to if anyone else has done the mod and how the did the power extending

also i know the super dutys have the power folding option, do the 2013 f150's offer that in a tow mirror?

thanks
Yes, the 2013 also have power folding and power telescoping. I think the switch should or could be included with the mirrors. However, there is one little thing that most people don't realize. The only way to get those power telescope tow mirrors is with the max-tow pkg on the truck. Yes you can get them from parts and put them on later but the big big big problem is they only cost 475.00 included with the max-tow pkg. Ordering as parts they are $1024.00 + change for EACH mirror. Even getting a sizable discount from the dealer they would still have cost me around 798 per mirror!! This is F***ing ridiculous to have to pay that price when they are included in the 475.00 dollar max-tow pkg!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:09 AM

Received 240 Likes on 178 Posts

Everything is cheaper at the factory when its added on there. Dealer mark up for aftermarket OEM parts is extremely high, this is how they keep there doors open. Service and Parts is the bread/butter of profits not selling cars/trucks. I had the telescoping on my SD for 11 yrs and never moved them out once. They give you great visability just from the std mount. I got Max Tow now and have not telescoped them other than playing with the switch just to make sure they still work. I only care about the power fold,heated and large mirrors they offer, great for towing/driving/parking/launching/loading a boat. I like the orange turn and night lights, and the chrome cap, really finishes off the truck..
Old 03-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by schrod
Even getting a sizable discount from the dealer they would still have cost me around 798 per mirror!! This is F***ing ridiculous to have to pay that price when they are included in the 475.00 dollar max-tow pkg!
Depends on the trim level of your F-150. Tow mirrors are included only as part of the max tow pkg from the factory. But the factory tow mirrors for the lesser trim levels do not have memory, power fold, or power telescope.

In my case, the stock Lariat mirrors with the Lariat Plus pkg included memory and power fold. (Power telescope was not available for my 2012 model). I did not order max tow pkg because I didn't want the resulting 3.73 axle ratio. So after the truck was delivered, I shopped for tow mirrors. Ford F-150 accessories catalog had at least two versions, one with memory and chrome skull caps and the one for XLT or XL trim without memory and with black skulcaps. The memory more than doubled the price, and of course they don't have power fold. So I did without memory and mine have neither power fold nor power telescope. Here's a link to mine:
http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/part...&siteid=214771

$308 for the pair, or $154 each. It took me about 15 minutes to install each one. The harness is plug and play, but of course features not included in the new mirrors will not work.

It takes about a half-hour for a pokey shade-tree mechanic like me to swap the mirrors. So if I couldn't live without the power fold or memory, I could reinstall my stock Lariat mirrors for use when not towing.

The fancier pwer fold tow mirrors available with the max tow pkg on 2013 Lariat and above trim packages are not in the accessories catalog, so you'll have to buy them from the normal parts catalog. And yeah, they are much more expensive if you get power fold and memory.

But power telescope? You gotta be a real sissy-pants if you cannot manually telescope the tow mirrors when you hook up the trailer.

Last edited by smokeywren; 03-03-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:54 AM

Anyone know if 2012 tow mirrors will for a 2013? A lot of mirrors say 09-12.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:37 AM

I looked at these at the RV shop the other day and was impressed. I'll be picking up a set for towing this summer.

http://www.milenco.com/products/mirr...-towing-mirror
Old 03-03-2013, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by RK_EMT
Anyone know if 2012 tow mirrors will for a 2013? A lot of mirrors say 09-12.

yes, they will fit. Nothing was changed. You can still get the manual telescope trailer tow mirrors. I looked at them at the dealership when I picked up my 2013 three weeks ago.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:39 PM

Just found these mirrors on Truckchamp.com. here is the link:http://www.truckchamp.com/products/T...ml#ProductTabs
Look exactly like the OEM mirrors that were on the 2011 Platinum and still available from Ford parts. Price is perfect. The Ford mirrors listed for 650.00 and dealer had quoted 585.00. These list for 437.96 and today only have 20% off that so only will be 350.37 with free shipping and no sales tax! These are the top of the line heated/power adjust w/turn signal chrome just like OEM. Only thing is not power fold will not work and manual adjust which I can deal with very easily.
The following users liked this post:
Guess2013 (03-23-2015)

Quick Reply: towing mirror questions