Topic Sponsor
Engine / Drivetrain Talk 6 or 8 Cylinders? Come talk about it.

04' 5.4 running rough at idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 04' 5.4 running rough at idle

Need some help guys. I have an 04 with a 5.4 that has recently started idling rough when the truck is at stop lights and such. The engine light came on for a short time but went off before I could my mechanic friend to look at it. The best I can explain it is the engine will start sounding like it's knocking while the truck starts to shake, and a couple times it's died. It runs just fine once you give it gas and haven't noticed anything odd while I'm driving. Like I said, the check engine light went off for about 3 or 4 days now but just today it's started idling funny again (without the engine light coming back on).

I really want to avoid a dealership and I've got a week and a half until we are suppose to drive from Indianapolis to Florida. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-15-2009, 03:49 PM

Oh, the truck has roughly 63K miles on it and I've never replaced the plugs, wires, ect.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by uaw1111
Oh, the truck has roughly 63K miles on it and I've never replaced the plugs, wires, ect.
I think you just answered your own question?
Old 03-22-2009, 06:29 PM
3wV

Air cleaner. And if you are going on a trip, take st8ic's suggestion before that gas guzzling trip, you change the fan belt before it blows with your new found plugs/wires/etc.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:30 PM

Thanks guys! I replaced the air cleaner, plugs, and wires this weekend and we'll see how it goes.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:36 PM

If that doesn't fix it, I suggest taking it someplace like Advance Auto or Autozone and have them hook it up to their reader. They do it for free.

Another thought ... did you recently wash your engine or engine compartment ??
Old 03-24-2009, 08:06 PM

Default rough idle at crank

i am having problems with when i crank my '03 ford f150 fx4 it idles really low then comes back up....is it just a tick or is something wrong? thanks for the input
Old 03-24-2009, 10:15 PM

I have same problems, got it fixed, run smooth now, I bough a caburator cleaner , reemove the air intake and sprayed into the FLAB ( don't know what it call) but control how much air into the engine, swiped all the black carbon build up with a cloth, sprayed again, and keep the engine idle @ 2000 RPM while spraying it, 5 minute later, put everything back in give it a test drive, run smooth till now almost aweek later, ran even better.
For your Trip if you can fix it in time, can always drive with one foot on break and other on gas, sort of like driving stick, keep that idle up while breaking, i did that for few days before i fixed it.
good luck hope this'd help
Old 03-25-2009, 11:36 AM

I am having same problem with my 05, changed air filter and it was totally black, changed everything else and it is still idling low and some times dies? What else?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by angels ride 05
I am having same problem with my 05, changed air filter and it was totally black, changed everything else and it is still idling low and some times dies? What else?
Try this, go buy cab cleaner, spray bottle similar to DW40, pull out the intake pipe ( see pic ) keep idle @2000 and spray it in about minutes or so, shut off the engine, swipe off the carp in there, start engine tthen spray again, then clean it, take it for a test drive and go nut, then see if it work, if not then it could be other problem
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 04' 5.4 running rough at idle