Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Brake Master Cylinder Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Master Cylinder Leak

Alright Ladies/Gentlemen,

Because of your awesome replies, I have been able to fix the problems I have encountered with my 1997 Ford F-150 XLT V8 4.6L!

Now, I come to you again asking for your help! I recently noticed performance issues with my brakes. I took it to Brake Masters to replace the pads, but they said it was my Master Brake Cylinder leaking. They didn't, and refuse to specify where exactly it was leaking from...So on that note, I did a little self inspection and noticed there was leakage on the Cruise Control Connection. I purchased the new wire and harness kit from the dealer. Which leads me to my question...Do I need to do anything special(i.e. bleed brakes, clamp anything, etc., etc.) to it?

As always, all advice and help is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-01-2013, 07:26 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

The cruise control switch is tied into your brake light switch, put a picture up so we can see where it's leaking from. If your lines and cap are on tight the only place a master cylinder can leak is out the back and the fluid would be in the area where the master bolts up to the booster or inside the cab where the pedal attaches to the booster at the firewall.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A couple months ago I noticed mine was also leaking in the same spot. I also noticed my cruise wouldn't engage. I simply replaced the cruise control switch and cleaned the factory plug to remove the brake fluid within the plug. Do that had solved all my issues.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Just have some one hold the brakes all the way to the floor while you replace the sensor. Also to those who dont have the new replacement harness, it is best that you get it as soon as possible as you run the risk of you vehicle catching on fire.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:02 PM

Folks,

It is only leaking from the connector to the cruise control wiring. The sealant on the wire itself was popped out, and the only place I can see leaking is there. Currently, I have the part, so I shall be replacing it in a couple minutes or so. Also, will the brake fluid squirt out if someone is pressing the brakes in?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent Martinez
Folks,

It is only leaking from the connector to the cruise control wiring. The sealant on the wire itself was popped out, and the only place I can see leaking is there. Currently, I have the part, so I shall be replacing it in a couple minutes or so. Also, will the brake fluid squirt out if someone is pressing the brakes in?
I had the same issue and replaced the switch and harness. I think as long as nobody is pressing the brake pedal you wont have to worry about brake fluid squirting out. When I replaced mine I took the old switch off and no fluid came out. Put the new one in the brakes worked the same as they did before.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by bdtaylor1979
I had the same issue and replaced the switch and harness. I think as long as nobody is pressing the brake pedal you wont have to worry about brake fluid squirting out. When I replaced mine I took the old switch off and no fluid came out. Put the new one in the brakes worked the same as they did before.
Ya, I just replaced it a little earlier, and drove it around. No leakage whatsoever. Brakes stayed the same too. Now I'm wondering if a brake bleed/fluid flush would change the performance on the brakes over all. I only have about 15% of wear on the front pads and 30% wear on the rear shoes, so I'm not too worried about replacing them right at this moment. But the brake bleed/fluid flush is probably gonna be my next step. What do you think?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:39 AM

Ya, I just replaced it a little earlier, and drove it around. No leakage whatsoever. Brakes stayed the same too. Now I'm wondering if a brake bleed/fluid flush would change the performance on the brakes over all. I only have about 15% of wear on the front pads and 30% wear on the rear shoes, so I'm not too worried about replacing them right at this moment. But the brake bleed/fluid flush is probably gonna be my next step. What do you think?
Wouldn't change the performance at all unless you're fluid was contaminated or had air in the system
Old 02-02-2013, 12:50 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

How many miles does the truck have and has the brake fluid been changed before?

If you have a lot of miles and its never been done before it probably wouldn't hurt to flush it. Over time the brake fluid wears out just like oil or trans fluid.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by 01burgscab
Wouldn't change the performance at all unless you're fluid was contaminated or had air in the system
I'm probably just going to do it for good measure, seeing as I bouth this truck from a co-worker who didn't have too much experience with truck stuffs. So, I figure it'd be a good choice to do it anyway.

Quick Reply: Brake Master Cylinder Leak