Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Spark Plug Change?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:56 PM
cwcw

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spark Plug Change?

I have a question about spark plug changing. I see many posts about changing spark plugs here. Why would you even think about changing spark plugs on your F150 unless you have more than 100k miles on it?!!!
These plugs are not meant to be changed often. I will probably never have to change the plugs on my F150. My last vehicle was a 2000 Ford Ranger with a 3.0 V6. In a 5 year time period i managed to put a little over 120k miles on it driving an hour one way to college each and every day and then another hour back home. I never changed or thought of changing the plugs in my truck and it ran at 120k miles just like it did at 5k miles. You change spark plugs in outboard motors and lawn mowers often, not in vehicles, unless you are burning some serious oil from bad rings. I just dont get it. It seems some think its a general maintance that you do like oil changes, tire changes, and air filter changes. Its not.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because the factory plugs .....

They also say to change the oil every 5000. I can't seem to get myself to wait that long either. Mine will be getting replaced shortly, when I decide what plugs I want to put in. Plugs are a important part of the engine....

To add:
Basically. I'm going to get all my plugs out NOW while I'm at relatively low miles, than waiting till 100k and having 7 of the 8 break off...

Last edited by rollingthunder; 03-06-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Added...
Old 03-06-2009, 06:13 PM
3wV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically, you look at the arc as a molecule spark off the end of the center and side electrodes. So, what electricity likes to do is find the x to y angle is that L on the side electrode is say sharp corners? OK, so each 360 or 180 is [fires twice is] dependso of said age of ignitions.

You multiply rpm times spark times arc time edge and then you change plugs is pull the old ones and look at the side and center electrodes become round and aged as in hunt for the spark or "hunt for ground" = Time spent hunting is your fuel slash performance all tied swapping the arc every so many 1000@ miles.

Arc X's RPM = Sound Logical?
Old 03-06-2009, 06:20 PM
cwcw

Originally Posted by rollingthunder
Because the factory plugs .....

They also say to change the oil every 5000. I can't seem to get myself to wait that long either. Mine will be getting replaced shortly, when I decide what plugs I want to put in. Plugs are a important part of the engine....

To add:
Basically. I'm going to get all my plugs out NOW while I'm at relatively low miles, than waiting till 100k and having 7 of the 8 break off...
I change oil every 5k miles also. But do you really think that the plugs will stop working at 100k? Thats just a standard. Im sure they would last 200k without changing. This is my point...I just read a post of a dude who changed his plugs at 40k miles and one broke while he was changing it. Whats to say it wouldnt break off after 5k miles. You never know. Its the plugs that are crappy, not the fact that they get stuck because of carbon. Ford, use a better plug design and this wont happen. I would rather use Sea Foam every 10 tanks of fuel before ever changing a plug and risking a grand on getting the one out that broke on me even though my truck was running great to begin with.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:23 PM
cwcw

Originally Posted by 3wV
Basically, you look at the arc as a molecule spark off the end of the center and side electrodes. So, what electricity likes to do is find the x to y angle is that L on the side electrode is say sharp corners? OK, so each 360 or 180 is [fires twice is] dependso of said age of ignitions.

You multiply rpm times spark times arc time edge and then you change plugs is pull the old ones and look at the side and center electrodes become round and aged as in hunt for the spark or "hunt for ground" = Time spent hunting is your fuel slash performance all tied swapping the arc every so many 1000@ miles.

Arc X's RPM = Sound Logical?
Ok man, did you just read what you typed or were you looking at your fingers while typing. Im not dumb and can understand many technical things, but i can understand a thing you just typed. It is not a functioning sentence or paragragh and the words dont even go together.
The following 3 users liked this post by f150cwcw:
jfor48 (10-23-2017), varmint2 (06-07-2014), WoodsRanger (09-24-2020)
Old 03-06-2009, 06:28 PM
3wV

See the Denso above? See the metal coating? It sorta prevents but not 'all' that dry run into the head with said spark plugs. The electrolysis between threads occur and that is when you know you snapped off a plug being you bent the tip inside the plug it was so hard to take off you stripped gears the socket cracked down one side.

If you are in that type territory or environment, I'd use a dab of anti-seize on the threads so there is that anti-environment about to electro your wallet out of the pants.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:33 PM
3wV

f-150, then you should know a technical theory or a practical event in theory is I can say whatever I want and I cannot break out of Ohm's Law, yes or no?
Do I need to say electricity or resistance? Or are there rules to the tech speak here?

I just have to mention that I am very technical in the JOE Average guy can comprehend it. I use very simple words to the very complex is if you like to take a stab at an 02 from open to close loop is explain it so I can understand it is I have no clue of the 3 variables or the 4th dimension of fuel injection.... Take the floor, f.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:06 PM

They get stuck due to carbon because they are crappy plugs.

The more mileage you put on, the greater risk of them breaking off.

I plan on keeping my truck for a long long long time, think 10+ years. I know my plugs will NEED to be changed before I get rid of the truck, thus it will be done shortly. I also change my oil at 3500-4000, even though the book says 5000...
Old 03-06-2009, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by f150cwcw
I change oil every 5k miles also. But do you really think that the plugs will stop working at 100k? Thats just a standard. Im sure they would last 200k without changing. This is my point...I just read a post of a dude who changed his plugs at 40k miles and one broke while he was changing it. Whats to say it wouldnt break off after 5k miles. You never know. Its the plugs that are crappy, not the fact that they get stuck because of carbon. Ford, use a better plug design and this wont happen. I would rather use Sea Foam every 10 tanks of fuel before ever changing a plug and risking a grand on getting the one out that broke on me even though my truck was running great to begin with.
Ya i am that guy who changed at 40thousand miles.My reasoning for changing is one was misfireing an loan behold the one that was misfireing was number and thats the one that broke off.Thats my reason for changing them.yes i could have waited for the 100k mark and maybe have more break off,but i also plan on doing enigine upgrades that will require aftermarket spark plugs.Your right ford screwed up on the plugs makeing them two seperate pieces instead of a solid piece.And as a memeber of this forum i wanted to post what i did and what i dealt with incase someone was the going the same rout as me with engine mods.
ryan
Old 03-08-2009, 11:55 AM
cwcw

Originally Posted by Rnger3rd
Ya i am that guy who changed at 40thousand miles.My reasoning for changing is one was misfireing an loan behold the one that was misfireing was number and thats the one that broke off.Thats my reason for changing them.yes i could have waited for the 100k mark and maybe have more break off,but i also plan on doing enigine upgrades that will require aftermarket spark plugs.Your right ford screwed up on the plugs makeing them two seperate pieces instead of a solid piece.And as a memeber of this forum i wanted to post what i did and what i dealt with incase someone was the going the same rout as me with engine mods.
ryan
Well if miss firing is your problem at 40k then i could see the point in changing. Really dont understand why your truck is miss firing at 40k miles, that would worry me if it was my truck. Didnt mean to start a battle here. Just staying those plugs are designed to live much much much longer than people are letting them. If your plugs are dirty after 40k something else is wrong and needs to be checked out cause thats crazy.
And for 3vw, i am very smart and can read technical writing, that is technical writing that makes sense in a fluid and correct dialog.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Change?